Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2.5 liter engine oil capacity

Old 08-03-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by paris1
for the additional $$ you spent on the additive, you could have gotten 5 qts of Mazda super-moly oil which, for my money, is far superior.
My total expense for the synthetic oil, additive and filter at Wal-Mart is about $33.00. What do you spend? Why is this bad?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sasha5
My total expense for the synthetic oil, additive and filter at Wal-Mart is about $33.00. What do you spend? Why is this bad?
Why is using an oil additive bad? Because oils are very specifically formulated in such a way as to be able to hold their factory additives in suspension as well as a certain finite amount of water and dirt. Adding additives can, and often does upset the balance in the oil which can negate the additive package the oil was manufactured with as well as limit the oil's ability to hold water and dirt in suspension.

Virtually every manufacturer on the planet, and certainly every one selling cars in the U.S. expressly recommend against using oil and fuel additives of any type.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:11 AM

"6. Insert the oil level gauge completely until it attaches to the cylinder head cover."

What is the "oil level gauge?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by topol
"6. Insert the oil level gauge completely until it attaches to the cylinder head cover."

What is the "oil level gauge?
Dipstick.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Dipstick.
Now that's laughable!

Old 09-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Default I check my level cold

Who has time to check the level hot and wait additional time for drainback each time they want to check it? And maybe it's just the oil that I use (Penzoil Platinum) but whenever I try to check it hot, it is impossible to discern a clear line anywhere because the oil is mottled all over the reading area. I just check mine cold and use a relative frame of reference. If the level is at or below the bottom indicator, I add a little oil. And given that I am going 10,000 miles between changes with this oil, I do have to add a little between changes. I'm told that direct injection engines do use a little oil, so I am trusting that this is normal.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jbird007
Who has time to check the level hot and wait additional time for drainback each time they want to check it? And maybe it's just the oil that I use (Penzoil Platinum) but whenever I try to check it hot, it is impossible to discern a clear line anywhere because the oil is mottled all over the reading area. I just check mine cold and use a relative frame of reference. If the level is at or below the bottom indicator, I add a little oil. And given that I am going 10,000 miles between changes with this oil, I do have to add a little between changes. I'm told that direct injection engines do use a little oil, so I am trusting that this is normal.
I use about 1/3 qt between 5k mile changes. So if you're doing the same w/10k mile intervals, I'd say you should be happy.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:34 AM

I am very happy with this vehicle. I wish I could afford to buy another for myself! I just hate the dipsticks that car makers are using these days. Why did they have to go and screw up a good thing that has been the norm for decades? My motto is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Old 09-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jbird007
I am very happy with this vehicle. I wish I could afford to buy another for myself! I just hate the dipsticks that car makers are using these days. Why did they have to go and screw up a good thing that has been the norm for decades? My motto is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Could be worse. My wife's Z4 BMW has no dipstick at all!

Old 09-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Default oil change

Just changed oil and filter on MX-5. Bought a 5 quart container of Mobile 1 and poured all but a smidgen into little hole on top of engine (close approximation of 4.8 quarts required with an filter change). Nothing on ground below the vehicle so assume all went into engine. Checked dip dtick......no mark. Should register overfill because oil filter only fills up when engine is run. Next day drove about 5 miles to gym and back, parked car and mowed lawn. Plenty of time for all oil to drain into crankcase. Checked dip stick and just barely touching bottom indicator. How can Mazda engineers design such a sophisticated engine and not design a dip stick that works is beyond me.

My gas powered lawn mower has a much better and easy to read dip stick!

Any thoughts on how to check oil level between changes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.5 liter engine oil capacity