Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Valve Clatter or ticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:50 PM
Default Valve Clatter or ticking

Hi Im a newbie here, but did try a search for my issue before bothering you guys ( Valve noise, valve, clatter etc).

I have a 1989 626 ( non-turbo) 4 cyl, with 127,000miles. Car was running fine before sitting for about 1 week. Had my daughter start the car and it ran and idled fine, had her shut of the car and restart, then heard a loud ticking or clattering noise. The noise frequency increases when we accelerated slightly. Have started the car several times and noise is constant. Used a long handled screwdriver to try to determine where on the engine noise is coming from, and think it is arouind the #2 cyl intake valve.
My question is are valve problems ( sticking), or timing belt problems common on these cars?
Has anyone had this or a similar problem?
Any recommendations on how to proceed with diagnosis, and then repair?

just want to save time effort and $ , so any tips appreciated.

Last edited by gadwhite; 04-18-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

'Sounds entirely possible. That or a chunk of carbon is holding things up in there. But w/o actually being there, it is hard to know what it is you are hearing.
How's the oil?
I am not aware of any serious timing belt issues with these cars, and if it seems to be only one cyl in the middle of the block then I think you could rule that one out.
You may just have to go a little deeper on your own. e.g. remove the valve cover and start the car, but drape a rag (or two) over the exposed head so oil doesn't splash every where as it's running.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:57 PM

Sounds like the HLA's just bled down. I have had good luck with Marvins marvelous mystery oil in the crankcase to flush them out. About 4 bucks a bottle. A bottle of Techron in the gas tank could'nt hurt either.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Default Valve cover

Thanks Virgin1 and hixx. The oil looks fine, (recent change). I'll pull the valve cover off on Monday and give it a look to see what I can see. I may run it if there's nothing obvious. I'll post a picture if I find anything.

Last edited by gadwhite; 04-18-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

You're welcome.
While I have never tried it personally I have known a number of people that swear by Marvel's Mystery Oil. It can be used in an almost infinite number of ways it seems.
In the '80's when I was still in the business, we had a rotory supercharged BMW 2002 and we used MMO as a supercharger lubricant.
I also know of those that swore using it as a valve cleaner by slowly pouring it down the throat of the carburetor w/the engine running, but I would not recommend trying that in a modern FI car, so please don't go there.
Though rather old-school, it just might be your answer here too.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Default Marvel mystery oil

I think I'll still pull the valve cover first. I am very curious to see if I can see whats sticking, but also if there is something broken I want to find it fast and not run the risk of more damage.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Default Cover off

OK got the valve cover off, pulled the coil wire and began bumping the motor through a revolution or two, checking each rocker for play. Bingo found an exhaust valve (on cyl 2 I think its 2) with play. Here is a shot of the whole valve train and the suspect part.

Valve Clatter or ticking-mazdavalves-002s.jpg

Valve Clatter or ticking-mazdavalves-004s.jpg

Valve Clatter or ticking-mazdavalves-005s.jpg

It looks as though there is a little insert in the end of rocker that is moving back and forth. Bad Hydralic lifter? OK next question How to replace ?Valve Clatter or ticking-mazdavalves-012s.jpg

Last edited by gadwhite; 04-20-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: sp plus added info.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Remove the rocker assembly and pull the HLA out with pliers but it may not need one if it got a little trash/carbon in it and just bled down since it sat a week. Pumping them back up requires holding the rpm at 2000 for 2 minutes.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Default Thanks but 2 questions

Questions removed

Hixx you nailed it! Put it back together ran it up to 2000 rpm and after a couple of min running smooth and quiet. I'll probably put a little trans fluid in the cracnk case, run it a little then do an oil change, just to clean things out. Thanks for the tip, you saved me from myself ( love to tear things apart).

Last edited by gadwhite; 04-21-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Default Still ok

a week after sitting still ok.

Quick Reply: Valve Clatter or ticking