Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

mazda premacy rear wheel locking while pedal sinks to the floor

Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Cool mazda premacy rear wheel locking while pedal sinks to the floor

Hi there! I am new to this forum and new mazda owner as well. recently bought 52 reg mazda premacy 2.0 di td. while driving around after 3 months after purchase noticed hand brake light staying on, battery leaking fluid, light bulbs blown in dash and headlight, brake pedal slowly goes to the floor. and over issues .... replaced alternator and cured some faults with overcharging. and while going trough dash bulbs noticed that there is missing abs light (oh bustards sold me faulty car...).
So at the end I have ABS and Hand brake light on and sticky driver side rear wheel. Checked hand brake cables and they are ok!
Replaced rear pads, driver side rear calliper and flexi break line with complete brake fluid replacement and while engine is off brakes are hard and work well and do not cause that wheel to stick. but when I start engine and press brake pedal it goes to the floor slowly even if i pump it hard and hold it still goes down to the floor (i know faulty brake master cylinder) and LOCKS DRIVER SIDE REAR WHEEL so it just can not be moved.
took off that brake calliper and wind it back and it goes back with no fuss! besides it is new! and done it several times with regasing brakes and still no luck.....
Could some body please help me solve this puzzle?... what could cause just that wheel to lock down completely and do not release after I let they brake pedal got to the floor??? can it really be all to the master cylinder? How can that affect only one wheel?

Old 06-22-2013, 05:43 PM

have you checked the brake at the other rear wheel? Maybe that caliper is stuck open.
It is best to do both sides on either end at the same time.
In your case i would do all 4 wheels at the same time. After all you know you have been handed a case of "defered maintenance".

I am not yet sure that the master cylinder is shot. I would first take care of the wheels, then see if it fixes all brake issues.
Do you hear the ABS module acting? Have you located the abs module? Maybe you don't have ABS after all.
BTW how old is your premacy and how many miles/km are on the odometer?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 AM

Hi! thank You very much for being with my puzzle!
I have checked all four brakes and every thing works perfect apart from that driver side rear one... ...I can not really figure out where and how to locate a complete brake line to that wheel. My mazda premacy is 2002 year and done around 150k miles. ...there is a lot of rust around that makes me concerned as well. just do not know which way to look for. probably abs sensor is faulty as well... those wheel hub back plates (if can say that) are totally rusted out that makes me think some problem with rust.
when opened bleeder valve on that locked calliper to release that rotor it showed no sign of oil pressure at all so looks like brake oil has not been pulled back on that wheel.
Hope this experience will be very helpful to other members with similar problem when I got it sorted out!
my neighbour says it may be a Abs valve stuck....??? so where can I locate that unit with that valve and how to fix it?
I have done so many of my own cars and brakes but never had similar situation.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Here is a thought: In rare occasions the rubber hose that goes from the steel line to the wheel hub may deteriorate inside. If that happens it may keep the fluid from going back. Imagine the hose being swollen shut. When you apply the brake the pressure would be enough to push the brake fluid through, but there is no source of pressure to push it back.
I don't know if his is the case in your premacy, but it is worth while to check.

Have you cleaned the rusty backing plate? Have you cleaned the wheel sensor and the tonewheel?
Have you made sure the wheel sensor is at the right distance to the tonewheel?
Have you checked the wheel bearings? If there is any looseness in the hub it could affect the sensor's ability to read the tone wheel.

I don't know where the pump is located. I found a picture of a pump:

I don't thingk you should try fixing an ABS contoller. Even replacing it can be difficult. you have to follow certain bleeding procedures.

Last edited by tanprotege; 06-23-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Thanks for an advise! as soon as wether will improve I will go trough it all and see what i got done...
flex brake hose was replaced as well so that should be no problem....
but just today noticed a loss ob brake fluid (was on minimum) so looks like it is leaking some where...
will strip some bits off and check for fluid leak possibilities and be back asap!
Have a good Day!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 AM

Hi there! just yesterday replaced both rear abs sensors and what a relief both (ABS and Handbrake) lights gone off! but pedal is still sinking and locking that same wheel...
...so I am still working on solwing this (probably will replace to new master cylinder) and will let You know asap if any success!