Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Generic relays

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Default Generic relays

2d problem (came AFTER battery drain problem) Put in a generic relay 30amp for the ignition and one for the inside blower and redid the radiator fan wiring that was bypassed after an accident that took out the relays.The car will still start in neutral and drive?Have not had the radiator fan come on automatically yet and am afraid something might not be right.Already replaced the head due to headgasket going bad and don't want to destroy it again.How can I check the radiator fan and that it will work with the sending unit without taking a chance of blowing the head gasket?Is the relay for the ignition involved with the radiator fan? Is there anything else thats involved that would cause the radiator fan not to come on automatically?I grounded out the little connector to the sender that caused the guage to go all the way to hot so I gather the sender and dash guage are working properly?

Old 06-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Default RE: Generic relays

There are two seperate temp sending units. One that runs just the gauge and another one that goes to the PCM for engine temp. this is the one that will control the fan, along that it also sends temp info so the engine runs properly. You should be able to disconnect the other one and then fan will come on automatically with the engine running, this is for a fail-safe operation.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:30 PM

Ok,I have 3 wired connections on the thermostat housing,one metal that fits a bullet conector,one square plastic connector and one fatter round plastic connector?which one should turn on the fan if it's disconnected and what will that tell me?I'm really dumb with electrics as Babey Huey can tell you.He's the one who helped with the relays.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:58 PM

It should be the one with a yellow/black and a lt. green/yellow. It should turn the fan on when disconnected so you know the fan motor works. If you know the fan motor works, then you can let it idle and babysit the car until it comes on.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 PM

Brian,have pics to send of the 3 senders on the thermostat.I pulled all 3 off one at a time,none caused the fan to come on?The fan does work when hot wired? Is the sender you're talking about on the thermostat? This is for an 88 626 auto non turbo 4dr?Can't upload pic through webtv to list need to send through private email as a forward with webtv.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:06 PM

It should be mounted on or near the thermostat area. It should have caused the fan to come on when removed. It sounds like the fan motor is okay, we want to make sure the two are connected. Do the fans come on with the a/c on?

Old 06-18-2006, 12:03 AM

Cannot find the relay for the fan.It is not on the fender by the battery where it's supposed to be.There is a relay on the FIREWALL (with several others under a single long black cover) that clicks when I disconnect the square plastic connector to the ROUND sender on the thermostat but nothing happens with the fan.The fan runs when hot wired to a power source.The fan will not run with any of the three senders on the thermostat disconnected key on or off.Tomorrow I'm going to see if there is any power in the blue or yellow wire coming out of the harness to the green and red and green wires going to the fan itself.
PS: does my email back to the dubscription email I get from Bikey get to you?Or does it disappear into space?

Old 06-18-2006, 02:28 AM

I have not received any email from you if you sent some. It sounds like the same problem you were having with babyhuey i remember.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:01 PM

The emails I'm sending are BACK to the email notification I get.Maybe they don't go back to you.