Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Fan Blower Problems in '95 323

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Default Fan Blower Problems in '95 323

Hi all. I'm amazed how popular these cars are and how little information is available on the net for them ! Anyway - I'm having a problem with the fan blowers in my 323. The speed selector seems to work as a volume control and little else. The difference in the air coming from the vents is negligible, even on the top speed I can hardly feel the air coming out but the volume of the fan changes as I change the speed. It's much nosier on top setting than it is on the lowest. Any idea why I'm getting sod all air from it ?

Old 09-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Default RE: Fan Blower Problems in '95 323

Sound like you have a air flow restriction. Possiblies, air intake under the cowling, blower fan full of leaves or other stuff or the heater core or A/C evaporator are restricted, once again leaves or stuff. Drop the blower motor down, three phillip screws, check fan.
Then get small mirror & pen light, place up in the opening so you can see the heater core or evap core, look like a radiator. Caution, mice have been known to get in this area, are shredded by the fan. The remains then get blown into the evap core. Ugly!
I've reduced the hose on a vac, down to a heater hose, works good. If you find a shredded mouse, you'll have use is strongest
cleaner you can find. Good Luck!

Old 09-15-2005, 07:15 AM

Are all those things easy to get into or is it a big job ? Don't fancy taking the whole dash out when I've never done it before but I also don't fancy a Scottish winter with the blowers hardly noticeable and the Air Con which hasn't worked since I got the car.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:25 AM

Hi - I've found the blower assembly. I've disconnected the power connector to it and tried turning it on to make sure I had the right thing. It's underneath the passenger side of the dash under the glove box directly above the footwell. Problem is I can't see how to get it removed to have a look at it. Anyone got any ideas ? I've tried removing the glove box but I can't get it shifted even with the two screws at the top inside removed.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM

It has been my experiance with Mazda's that when you have a low air flow problem like you have it has, 9 out of 10 times, been your blower resistor. It is located right there on the blower assy. Should have a harness that plugs into it.

JMBaggie
Mazda Parts guy

Old 09-28-2005, 08:26 PM

My manual covers up to a 1994 model 323, I am guessing you must have a European model Mazda. On the US model blower motors just have three phillip screws and drop straight down, quite easy.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Psychofly
There are three screws that hold the blower to the housing. There're on the bottom, either 8mm socket or phillips screwdriver is all that you need. Once the screws are out you may have twist the blower to clear the housing.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give it a try again when I get home tonight. The cold weather is coming in and damn I need some hot air in that car.
Oh yeah and it IS a European model - I should have made that clear, sorry. I'm in Scotland not the US.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:51 PM

i've the same problem..i've replaced the blower cleaned up all the leaves and all the dirt inside and now i barely feel the air coming out..im not sure if it's the resistor coz the blower runs on every fan switch position..but factory blower was awesome before it went out!! can't figure out what else is wrong, any opinions would help! thanks!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Just because the fan blower operates on every setting doesn't mean it isn't the resistor...

Does the speed of the fan noticeably change depending on what setting the switch is on? If not then try replacing the resistor. If so then look elsewhere.

The blower assembly is fairly straightforward (assuming no air conditioning) there are intake vents connected to vents in the car with a large fan in the middle. Assuming that the fan is working and the vents/tubes are clear everything should work. There is also a diverter to change the output vents, so assuming that the fan changes speed and the tubes are clear check all of the vents to see if you get air out of any of them.

I assume it's possible for the diverter to break as it is a mechanical part...

I hope that this helps,

Z.

Quick Reply: Fan Blower Problems in '95 323