Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

ECM/PCM replacement 2000 626 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Default ECM/PCM replacement 2000 626 question

First time poster, be gentle. I have used the search feature and found some info, but I still have some questions.

I have a 2000 626 V6 AT. It has recently started to have the immobilizer problem that is apparently very common to this car. It first did this back in the summer, and more recently just before Christmas. It will start, run a few seconds then die. It'll do it a few more times, then it will just turn over, not start. I have a friend who is a mechanic at Chrysler and he does work on the side at his home, very reliable. He has the car and said based on the code, the anti-theft (immobilizer) is activating for some reason. After doing more research and consulting with the nearest Mazda dealer, he believes replacing the ECM/PCM with one that does not recognize the immobilizer is the best solution. He said the Mazda tech said this problem is very common for the vehicle, and it will likely reoccur some time in the future. They (Mazda) have found the best fix it to replace the ECM/PCM w/o immobilizer, and rewire the fuel pump so the immoblizer would effectively be useless.

Obviously I have a few questions. Has anyone else heard of this or done it? What has your successes, or failures been? If I do this, can I buy a used ECM from a salvage vehicle on eBay? Will it have to be programmed? Any advice?

This is going to be my son's first car so I want it to be reliable. Also, we got it very cheap and I just don't want to put a lot of money into expensive repairs if there are reasonable alternatives. However, I don't want him to be stranded anywhere so if the immobilizer can be bypassed by a new ECM w/o immobilizer I'd much rather prefer that. We live in a very rural setting with low crime. Please let me know your thoughts ASAP. I see some ECM's on eBay, but I want to make sure I buy the right part and go down the correct path. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 AM

I was really hoping to get some feedback before I bought the ECM. I'm probably going to buy it today, so any words of wisdom or advice? I'd greatly appreciate any constructive comments. Thanks!