Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

'91 Mazda 626 front end noise question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Default '91 Mazda 626 front end noise question.

Hello,
I have a 626 and recently I've started to hear an occasional noise from the front end. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side wheel area. It is sort of a clunk, but not quite so heavy. It sounds almost like something is binding until enough pressure builds enough to release. It seems to happen in pairs. Yesterday it did after I had backed out of a parking spot, put it into drive and had just started moving. A few moments later when I hit the brakes, it happened again. It was fine the rest of the day. Two days before, it did the same thing in similar circumstances.

I thought maybe it was a ball joint or tie rod end, but I took the wheel off and everything looks okay. I couldn't get any movement out of the ball joint and the tie-rod end seemed fine too.

Is there anything else that anyone can think of to check?

I don't know if it could possibly be related, but sometimes when braking I get a little bit of stutter through the brake pedal (never at lower speeds). I've been thinking it may be a warped disc, and debating replacing it, but haven't wanted to spend the money on a guess.

any advise appreciated,
thanks

jason

Old 05-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Default RE: '91 Mazda 626 front end noise question.

If you are getting a stutter out of the brake pedal and vibration in steering wheel when braking at high speeds then front rotors would be warped. If stutter only at pedal and steering wheel smooth then would be rear rotors. Try this for the clunk noise. Drive vehcile forward and apply the brakes. Now reverse for short distance and brake. Forward again and brake. If noise is occuring when braking and after changing directions then the front pads are probably a little loose in the caliper mounts.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Default RE: '91 Mazda 626 front end noise question.

Thanks for the input. I was starting to suspect that it might be brake related and you've helped confirm it as a possibility. I'll try the front back test to see if I can get it to make the noise. I think I am going to make the leap and get the new calipers and replace the pads while I'm at it, but before I do, are there any shop tricks to check the caliper for warp before pulling it off?

thanks again,
jason

Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Lightbulb 92 Mazda 626

Jason,
I have an occasional noise in that same general area, I wonder sometimes if it is a steering problem, but it does not effect performance at all. I have had front brake pads replaced by a friend. My mechanic does not hear it.
Best,
Jim

Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Exclamation Noise from right front wheel

I have been experiencing a similar noise on my 2012 BT-50 - A grinding noise from the right front end, a distinctive jerk on the brake pedal and a jerk of the steering wheel to the right, when slowing down to a stop. Intermittently of course.

As if a caliper is binding and then releasing or binding late on the one side.

I have had the problem to the accredited Service Dealers twice and they tell me it is normal. Some **** and bull story about the ABS with its sensors on the brake pads and what have you. I don't believe it, this cannot be normal.

Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon please?