Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Choosing the right exhaust muffler and resonator for a header install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Question Choosing the right exhaust muffler and resonator for a header install

Whats up Mazda crew! Is there already a thread about exhaust systems and resonators and different exhaust sounds? If so can you direct me to it please. If not then I have a few questions..

I currently have short ram intake with magnaflow cbe I bought from the rpm store everything else is stock. I'm thinking of putting some msds header with a straight pipe no cat but I've heard how a 6 sounds like with this similar setup like f2 header with no cat and a magnaflow and it sounds too loud and raspy. I would like to quiet it down as much as possible with having a straight pipe and also have minimal drone but having a good flow and not affecting to much performance or non at all if possible.. I can still take more noise from my magnaflow cbe but still i dont want it to sound like a fart can. I would like it to sound quiet during cruising and passing up people but throaty, rumble, aggressive sound when WOT. So what would i have to change? just the resonator? or the mufflers? or both. I should've went custom in the beginning but oh well and which brand and type would be best?? I was thinking of vibrant ultra quiet resonator and borla exhaust like the boomers... Any advice would be awesome! thanks!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

I don't have any personal experience with this, however, putting on a quiet muffler may prevent proper free flowing for power, so i would go with resonators.
Make sure all your exhaust is the same size. I'm assuming you have a 3.0 V6?
You should have mentioned that. Putting that in your signature saves a lot----check mine out.
Dual 2" to single 2.5" is perfect for 3.0 litre. Some are dual and some go 2 to 1 and back to 2 lines.
Also with headers, if you decided to put on a main catalytic converter it should be metallic!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 11-18-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
I don't have any personal experience with this, however, putting on a quiet muffler may prevent proper free flowing for power, so i would go with resonators.
Make sure all your exhaust is the same size. I'm assuming you have a 3.0 V6?
You should have mentioned that. Putting that in your signature saves a lot----check mine out.
Dual 2" to single 2.5" is perfect for 3.0 litre. Some are dual and some go 2 to 1 and back to 2 lines.
Also with headers, if you decided to put on a main catalytic converter it should be metallic!

I'm sorry where are my manners ha... I just joined recently.... I have a 2008 mazda 6i 2.3L atx.... I'm on 6crew forum and a buddy was helping me out... he has a same car as mines with f2 header high flow cat he has the magnaflow cbe but he took off the magnaflow resonator and added 2 vibrant resonators and its not the ultra quiet ones... he showed me a sound clip and its still too loud.... so idk I was thinking of putting 2 vibrant ultra quiet resonators... or putting 1 ultra quiet resonator and 1 flowmaster super 40 going to my magnaflow mufflers...but like you said i can loose power adding a muffler... but honestly though if i loose like 1 or 2 horsepower I'm actually ok with it just to quiet it down as much as possible.. what do you think?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Banned

You won't lose anything with the flowmaster super 40 as it's a premium performance muffler with a very deep tone and it's not really quiet. If you want quiet don't put the performance header on. Free flowing exhausts aren't quiet. Normally performance exhausts increase in diameter by only even 1/4".
Here's a video with Flowmaster Super 40:
Flowmaster 60 series delta flow 3 chamber with Miata: 2003 Mazda Miata with Flowmaster 60 Series Delta Flow Exhaust - YouTube!
More video sounds from flowmaster: Performance mufflers

ULTRA QUIET VIBRANT:
doesn't sound quiet, maybe he has 1 but same approx size tubing

Like i said i'm not experienced with resonators or quieting down exhaust. Most performance exhausts get louder.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
You won't lose anything with the flowmaster super 40 as it's a premium performance muffler with a very deep tone and it's not really quiet. If you want quiet don't put the performance header on. Free flowing exhausts aren't quiet. Normally performance exhausts increase in diameter by only even 1/4".
Here's a video with Flowmaster Super 40: 1969 Camaro with Flowmaster Super 40 Exhaust PN 17201 817201 - YouTube
Flowmaster 60 series delta flow 3 chamber with Miata: 2003 Mazda Miata with Flowmaster 60 Series Delta Flow Exhaust - YouTube!
More video sounds from flowmaster: Performance mufflers

ULTRA QUIET VIBRANT: 95 civic d15b7 (vibrant ultra quiet resonator) - YouTube doesn't sound quiet, maybe he has 1 but same approx size tubing
OBX Loop Muffler w/ Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator - YouTube

Like i said i'm not experienced with resonators or quieting down exhaust. Most performance exhausts get louder.

I know free flowing exhaust will sound louder... i just dont want it to sound like a fart can... but to have a smooth rumble at idle and cruising but at WOT to sound throaty with no rasp and drone. I can take more sound what I have in my magnaflow... Yea I aint experience either with quieting down exhaust ha...

I like how this sounds on this mazda 3

same with this one...

this sound would be awesome..

Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Default which cat back exhaust!?!?

hey guys! I'm new to the forums and was trying to figure out which cat back exhaust i should put on my 2008 mazda 3 any suggestions plz?