Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Default Intake and Exhaust

I just bought a Mazda3. I want to get an intake, headers, and cat back exhaust. But I don't want a CEL. I'm leaning toward an AEM intake. After that I'm not sure. I've looked at several. Does anyone have a good combo wo the CEL?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Intake and Exhaust

Hi and Welcome GnC17!!
No one wants a CEL, which BTW in Mazda lingo is MIL.

Ihave the AEM by way of Mazdaspeed CAI on mine. AEM makes the Mazdaspeed accessory intake. It"s OK, but I"m not in love with it.
I have heard good things about the Injen and if a good opportunity presents itself might try that one too. K&N makes a convertible design so you can run it as an SRI in the winter and a CAI in the summer, or visa-versa if you wish.

For my money the Vibrant header is probably one of the best made and best for street performance, though quite pricey. It"s 4-2-1 design is best for mid-range power, just what you want in aDD. Plus it is made of 304 SS for long life. And they seem to have done their homework.I don"t know anyone with this header that has had a CEL issue, and no one who doesn"t love it.4-1 header designs are best for high end power and usually are not the best choicefor the street.Draxas, and Thunder are the 2 I know of that people seem to like. Avoid the OBX and the other cheapies.The Protégé boys seem to have good luck w/the OBX header, but the 3 series doesn"t like them. Plus they are a lot of work and extra expense to get them tofit, I understand.
And before you ask, no I don"t have one. A header will delete both cats which I do not want to do, as this is my street car and my DD, not a race car.

For exhaust, there are several out there to recommend: I have the Vibrant and love it, but also Magnaflow makes one, Borla, ARK and a host of others. I would suggest you do an online search and some research. Ask people that have the ones that look interesting to you or that fit your budget.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Default RE: Intake and Exhaust

Thanks Virgin1. Your post is veryhelpful.