Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Default Exhaust

Ok, it is almost Christmas and Daddy needs a present. I bought a M3S in September and love everything about it... but I want some exhaust...not forperformance,justfor my ego.

I know that it would be best to geta catback system, but I don't have that kind of cash right now(along with the rest of America).
So I would like to only purchase a muffler with a tip. Most of the sound clips I have heard are Magnaflow.

Any suggestions? Please be specific. I am not the average "do it yourself" kind of guy like most on this forum.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Exhaust

Well, you could just go to your local parts store and see what they have?
Most will carry Flowmaster"s which are generally considered a Hot Rod muffler, but they do have several options these days.Some are very nice and I believe would work well for your situation.Like their commercials say, from mild to aggressive.
Then you would have to chose a tip. A 4" outlet fits our bumpers very well... perfectly I would say. If you can, go for a double-walled construction as it will stay cooler and cleaner too. But you will have to get your local muffler shop to do the fitting and install, so you may want to check with them first (what they have? What does it cost? How much to install your parts and will they do it?, Etc...)
Our OE exhaust is made from 50mm tubing, equivalent to 1.96". So you may need some reducers. Get the smallest inlet you can... usually 2.25 or 2.5", and make sure the inlet is on the correct side. This is critical as there is little room to maneuver around under there. Then, go from there.
Here"s the 4" tip of my Vibrant system on my hatchback:

Name:  Picture010W.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  Picture009W.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  52.1 KB

Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Default RE: Exhaust

vibrant is a great exhaust, BTW. i would recommend a complete exhaust, but if you just want the tip you can check the auto parts.