Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

2006 Mazda 5 Ebay CAI 2.3 L Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
You do understand that the only time you'll see that extra power (assuming your CAI is even capable of providing a few more; not all CAIs are even capable of that) is at Wide Open Throttle when operating at or near redline; don't you? At pretty much any other power setting you're not going to see any improvement, and often not even as much power as the factory intake.

I guess you drive around all day long in the upper RPM ranges.

What if combined with other "power adders" like a header and/or exhaust? ECU tuning? Can that CAI be helpful in achieving more horsepower? I am aware that different engines whether naturally aspirated or forced induction will have varied results depending on the plethora of situations and/or modifications, etc.

Last edited by ssdspec; 10-07-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by ssdspec
What if combined with other "power adders" like a header and/or exhaust? ECU tuning? Can that CAI be helpful in achieving more horsepower? I am aware that different engines whether naturally aspirated or forced induction will have varied results depending on the plethora of situations and/or modifications, etc.
Responding specifically to this post, a remap of the ECU will probably yield the biggest bang for the buck. Unfortunatley most OBD-II cars are very difficult to remap, Mazda's in particular, so from my perspective I'd rule out each of the options you listed.

Were I in your shoes and wanted to bump the power of a Mazda5 (and had a manual transmission), I'd look at forced induction. The thing is, without surgery to the head, all of the exhaust, intake and electronic tuning in the world will only give you a modest bump in power.

Now, if you in fact have a car with a manual transmission (I think I read in one of your posts that you do) and you have the funds to slap a turbocharger on your car, then 200 hp is relatively easy to achieve, and I understand 250-300 is possible with some careful tuning. If your car has an automatic, then I'm thinking I wouldn't breathe on the engine more than say two to three pounds; and that should be good for ~170 hp, maybe even 180. Producing more power than that will cause your tranny to pack it in relatively quickly.

Personally I wouldn't bother; I'd just sell my ride and find something that, as designed by its manufacturer, meets my requirements. It's probably cheaper that way, and you'll end up with a car that will most likely be much more reliable as well.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 PM

Responding specifically to this post, a remap of the ECU will probably yield the biggest bang for the buck. Unfortunatley most OBD-II cars are very difficult to remap, Mazda's in particular, so from my perspective I'd rule out each of the options you listed.

Were I in your shoes and wanted to bump the power of a Mazda5 (and had a manual transmission), I'd look at forced induction. The thing is, without surgery to the head, all of the exhaust, intake and electronic tuning in the world will only give you a modest bump in power.

Now, if you in fact have a car with a manual transmission (I think I read in one of your posts that you do) and you have the funds to slap a turbocharger on your car, then 200 hp is relatively easy to achieve, and I understand 250-300 is possible with some careful tuning. If your car has an automatic, then I'm thinking I wouldn't breathe on the engine more than say two to three pounds; and that should be good for ~170 hp, maybe even 180. Producing more power than that will cause your tranny to pack it in relatively quickly.

Personally I wouldn't bother; I'd just sell my ride and find something that, as designed by its manufacturer, meets my requirements. It's probably cheaper that way, and you'll end up with a car that will most likely be much more reliable as well.

They only way I am going to boost my 5 is if I win the lottery. I already have a boosted SRT4 with intake, 3' O2 housing, 3" turbo back and Diablosport flash. Fast enought for my daily driver.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-Mazda-5-Turbo

Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ssdspec
They only way I am going to boost my 5 is if I win the lottery. I already have a boosted SRT4 with intake, 3' O2 housing, 3" turbo back and Diablosport flash. Fast enought for my daily driver.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-Mazda-5-Turbo
Well the SRT4 is hopefully enough for you to get your speed Jones covered.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Default Srt4

Well the SRT4 is hopefully enough for you to get your speed Jones covered.
Yes speed "Jones" definitely covered.