General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Worth it?? 2006 Mazda 3 - knock of death!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Exclamation Worth it?? 2006 Mazda 3 - knock of death!

Hello, Hoping to get some advice from those with more knowledge and experience than me in this field.

My 2006 Mazda 3 Sedan started making a clicking/tapping/knocking sound and the check engine light came on. Sounds pretty bad but runs and can be driven. To be safe had it towed to dealership. It was pronounced DOA! Said needs new engine.

Though I'm concerned about the diagnosis because they said it had no oil, but I checked it full previous 2 days and even added a full quart myself day before to top it off as it was due for an oil change. I'm concerned they saw me in my 2006 Mazda with 106,000 miles and are trying to sell me a car. Would a dealership lie about my engine to try to sell me a car? If not should I try to fix? Trade it in and get a new used car? Kelley Blue Book says It is worth 3.5k when running apparently. So would be tough to sink on 5k for new used engine, but what can I buy for 4k?

I only have 4k at best. What do I do? Help!
Thank you!!

Old 11-28-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Seattlesauce
Hello, Hoping to get some advice from those with more knowledge and experience than me in this field.

My 2006 Mazda 3 Sedan started making a clicking/tapping/knocking sound and the check engine light came on. Sounds pretty bad but runs and can be driven. To be safe had it towed to dealership. It was pronounced DOA! Said needs new engine.

Though I'm concerned about the diagnosis because they said it had no oil, but I checked it full previous 2 days and even added a full quart myself day before to top it off as it was due for an oil change. I'm concerned they saw me in my 2006 Mazda with 106,000 miles and are trying to sell me a car. Would a dealership lie about my engine to try to sell me a car? If not should I try to fix? Trade it in and get a new used car? Kelley Blue Book says It is worth 3.5k when running apparently. So would be tough to sink on 5k for new used engine, but what can I buy for 4k?

I only have 4k at best. What do I do? Help!
Thank you!!
Here's the secret in the Mazda community; the Mazda 2.0 and 2.3 liter engines are the virtual twin of the Ford 2.5 liter Duratec engine; an engine which is so plentiful they can be had for as little as $500 with low miles. It may well be worth your time and effort to put the Ford motor in the car and keep on driving it.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:37 AM

Wow really? Thanks I'll have to check that out!
I guess the question is would a shop put a Ford engine in a Mazda? If so guessing there wouldn't be a warranty?
Also do you know what year's would work with a 2006 Mazda 3 2.3l?
Thanks!

Old 11-30-2016, 04:11 AM

A couple of points:
  • Back in 2006 Ford and Mazda were pretty much the same company, and if you look closely at the engine in your Mazda, most likely it already has "FoMoCo" stamped all over it.
  • Some shops would know, most would not.
  • There are a number of threads here and on other Mazda related sites on how to do the conversion as the 2.5 liter motor is from something like 2010 and later Ford Fusions and such. The threads I've glanced at show which model years and have complete "How-to" sections.
  • One final thought; due to the seemingly high number of Mazda 2.3 motors which bite the dust at a relatively early age (often as early as 80,000 miles), this conversion is becoming more and more popular.

Good luck and keep us posted.