General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

in need of rotary info

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Default in need of rotary info

Ok, so this prolly isnt the best place or way to do this, but what the h*** why not.

Here's the deal. I'm planning on buying a 74 Ford Capri from a buddy of mine, and I already know I dont want the 2.0 Pinto motor.
So I'm looking into some alternatives from the Ford family (and yes, mazda is part of the ford family..dont ever forget it).

1.) Ford Thunderbird turbo coupe 2.3L turbo with a T5 5sp
2.) Merkur XR4Ti 2.3L turbo with a T5 5sp (same thing as the turbocoupe but with a bigger turbo and different tune and no intercooler stock)
3.) Mazda RX7 or RX8 magic spinning triangles (i know, its a rotary, pretty kick*** actually)

choice 3 is where this post on this site comes in. I know very little about them. lemme put down what i "know" and y'all can correct me, school me, inform me, burn me on a stake and imprint the manual on ashes, i dont care.

here is what i know:
rotaries make insane power ratios (like 200hp from a 1.5L, just an example, i dont know what size they are anymore)
rotaries are small in size and lightweight (perfect for the tincan its gonna get shoved in)
rotaries dont have an oil pan, but rather utilize oil injection (keep that canister full)
rotaries sound pretty f***ing cool going down the road
the rx8 uses a way different, bigger(3rotor vs 2rotor), and more powerfull (well duh, more triangles more power) rotary
and i dont know this one for sure, but i've heard they only make power in the top of the band

so, someone school me on these things. (but first lemme say, if i go this route i wanna keep it simple, so also lemme know how stripped down these things can get, i dont need emissions or other crap on these. think of it like an old 302, basic, no crap.plain and simple on the intake, boom, and exhaust.)
what kind of power stock,
what kind of power can be made on stock parts
what kind of powerband, where does it actually start making power
how expensive are these
what kind of transmission comes bolted to each one?
etc etc etc

SCHOOL ME!!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Default RE: in need of rotary info

is there seriously noone that knows about these?