General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tow small trailer with Mazda 3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 02:00 PM
Default Tow small trailer with Mazda 3?

Just got a 2016 Mazda 3, went with a car instead of an f150 solely because of how much I drive for work. I race motocross my question is could I tow a 4x6 trailer (300lbs) and a 200lb dirtbike. (I race motocross) thanks guys!

Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 PM

Manual transmission or automatic?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Manual transmission or automatic?
It's auto. Wish it was manual. Wouldn't weigh anymore then 800 with everything. I have seen people do it. I have to do it regardless I'm just trying to get opinions. I have seen cars with trailers at the track.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM

Per the Owner's Manual from my 2016 Mazda3:
Trailer Towing
Your Mazda is not designed for towing.
Never tow a trailer with your Mazda.

The above said, if you have a manual transmission I imagine it wouldn't hurt the vehicle if you towed a 500 pound trailer if you kept the speeds relatively moderate and stayed one gear lower than normal. If you have an automatic transmission I wouldn't even attempt it.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 PM

Per the Owner's Manual from my 2016 Mazda3:
Trailer Towing
Your Mazda is not designed for towing.
Never tow a trailer with your Mazda.

The above said, if you have a manual transmission I imagine it wouldn't hurt the vehicle if you towed a 500 pound trailer if you kept the speeds relatively moderate and stayed one gear lower than normal. If you have an automatic transmission I wouldn't even attempt it.
I know it's not designed for it. Funny though in other country's it's rated to tow up to 1500 lbs

Old 03-29-2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by logan_140
It's auto. Wish it was manual. Wouldn't weigh anymore then 800 with everything. I have seen people do it. I have to do it regardless I'm just trying to get opinions. I have seen cars with trailers at the track.
Bummer; my wife and I ended up ordering ours direct from the factory so we could get a stick with the exact feature/color combination we wanted.

Regarding towing; if you must, I suggest keeping the transmission a gear or two lower than normal.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:15 PM

Bummer; my wife and I ended up ordering ours direct from the factory so we could get a stick with the exact feature/color combination we wanted.

Regarding towing; if you must, I suggest keeping the transmission a gear or two lower than normal.
gotcha. I do have the manual mode.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

What you will find for towing in a 20016 Mazda 3 owners manual in New Zealand or Australia

Towing Caravan and Trailers
Your Mazda was designed and built primarily to carry passengers and cargo.
If you tow a trailer, follow these instructions because driver and passenger safety depends
on proper equipment and safe driving habits. Towing a trailer will affect handling, braking,
durability, performance, and economy.
Never overload vehicle or trailer. Consult an Authorised Mazda Dealer if you need further
details.
CAUTION
Towing a trailer during the ¿ rst 1,000 km (600 miles) of your new Mazda is not recommended. If you do, you may damage the power train components.
Load Limits
CAUTION
Be aware of the towing load weight differences when towing at high altitudes. For
altitudes exceeding 1,000 m, always reduce the towing load by 10% for every 1,000 m
increase in altitude from the total weight (gross vehicle weight and load limit). If the
determined maximum total towing load weight is exceeded, the engine and other power
train parts may be damaged.

The total weight of a trailer or other towed vehicle must not exceed the following:
Model Trailer with brakes Trailer without brakes
SKYACTIV-G 2.0 1,200 kg (2,645.5 lb) 600 kg (1,322.7 lb)
SKYACTIV-G 2.5 1,200 kg (2,645.5 lb) 600 kg (1,322.7 lb)
SKYACTIV-D 2.2 1,200 kg (2,645.5 lb) 650 kg (1,432.9 lb)

3–45
Before Driving
Towing
Towing Instructions
Follow these instructions to make your towing as safe and ef¿ cient as possible.
Use only a Mazda-approved tow bar.
Never exceed recommended load limits and always refer to the identi¿ cation plate af¿ xed
to the tow bar.
Before towing, inÀ ate all tyres to the maximum recommended pressures.
You'll ¿ nd these speci¿ cations on the edge of the driver's door. When on a hill or towing with heavy loads, always use a lower gear. This helps maintain
speed. It also prevents engine and transaxle overloading when going up hills and reduces
the need for braking when going down hills.
Always allow a greater stopping distance than normal to prevent excessive braking, and
avoid sudden stops that could cause loss of control.
Frequently inspect oil and À uid levels. Because of the extra stress on your Mazda from towing, more frequent maintenance than
usual is necessary.
Your Mazda's behaviour changes while towing. Get accustomed to these changes over a
short and safe trial distance before starting a long trip.
Headlights may need re-aiming after a trailer has been attached, especially if a load
equalizing hitch is not used.
Due to the additional stress on the engine cooling system when towing, the airÀ ow to the
radiator must not be restricted in any way.
Make sure the towed vehicle complies with all local regulations, especially in regard to
lighting, mirrors, and safety chains. The tow bar should not obscure the rear number plate.
Whenever you remove the tow bar, seal all mounting holes in the underbody to prevent
the entry of exhaust fumes, dust, and water.
Avoid parking on an incline with a trailer. If this must be done, follow these instructions.
Parking on