General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Marks on 1.8L DOHC?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Default Timing Marks on 1.8L DOHC?

Replaced the timing belt on my 1998 Mazda Protege with the 1.8L DOHC. The Haynes manual I had actually did not have pictures of anything that looked like my motor when I got it all apart, but the Dayton timing component kit I got had instructions. Those instructions showed that the I should be straight up on the left camshaft sprocket and the E straight up on the right camshaft sprocket....and that the E on the left sprocket should point to a marking on the metal shroud/backing and the I on the right one should do the same for a marking on the metal shroud backing.

The problem is that that relationship that is described is impossible...if you line up one (the ones that are suppose to be straight up or the ones that are point to the markings on the metal backing) the other will not line up regardless. So I lined up the markings on the metal backing dead on (which puts the I and the E not straight up, but actually slightly inwards of straight up).

The car runs, but seems hesitant upon acceleration and the engine will die at idle after driving it (the minute you put in the clutch in after cruising it will immediately die). Does anyone have any idea what the correct markings and relationship is for this motor? I would appreciate any help.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 AM

the timing marks should face each other at TDC. they will be level and facing inward. remember that the marks will only line up every 720 degrees, so give the motor a couple of turns after the tensioner goes on to see if they will still line up under tension.