General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Removing sliding windows in Mazda Bongo 1989

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Default Removing sliding windows in Mazda Bongo 1989

How do I remove the sliding windows in a 1989 mazda bongo wagon? I have removed the seal on one of the windows but still can't see how to get the window out. I haven't taken out the divider (the thing between the two sliding windows which stops them from touching) but I can't see how this would help, or will it?

Old 09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

No ^^^ I don't think so, clarence456 (SPAMMER.)
Good-bye for now.

Rory, what is a bongo wagon and can you provide pictures of the area you are trying to disassemble? Personally, I'm curious to see a picture or two of the vehicle as well.
Sometimes w/sliders if you remove the center divider you can then twist the glass up (or down) to remove it, as is the case in some of the old British sports cars... Triumphs come to mind. This is often the case with the side windows in a sedan as well. But in your case I would need further visual information.

Last edited by virgin1; 09-29-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 AM

I haven't got any photos of mine on my hard drive at the moment and it's raining so I will grab some tomorrow, in the meantime this is a Mazda Bongo: http://specs.amayama.com/mazda/bongo/1989_4/photo/. Also sold as Ford Econovans at the same time.

As I said can't get pictures at the moment so I will get some for you tomorrow and thank you for the reply!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm. Well, based on some of those pictures, this one in particular

I would guess that the whole window assembly would have to be removed from the body and the frame disassembled to remove one section of glass. It does not look like removing only the center divider would work in this case.
The question remains though whether or not the assembly screws in, is "glued" in or has a rubber gasket seal that must be dealt with?

Old 09-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

I would guess that the whole window assembly would have to be removed from the body and the frame disassembled to remove one section of glass. It does not look like removing only the center divider would work in this case.
The question remains though whether or not the assembly screws in, is "glued" in or has a rubber gasket seal that must be dealt with?
I'll get photo's today which will hopefully help out, once removed how would I disassemble the window frame because it looks like it's just one piece, not screwed together anywhere.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

I'm only guessing from general experience, Rory, as I am not specifically familiar w/your vehicle. I hope I can help YOU figure it out and therefore pass any other info on to me and anyone else here that needs it.
But let's face it, a vehicle from the '80's is not rocket science and should be relatively easy for us to feel our way though... together. That's why we are here. To try and help each other while having a good time doing it.
I don't get paid to do this any more than you pay to be here. It's all about connections and people, my friend.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 AM

Fair enough, too true it can't be that difficult. So here are the photos:

Name:  IMG_8175.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8179.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8108.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  74.9 KB

Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 PM

Are these photo's not clear enough?

Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I see a rivet in there, and I can't be sure but that could be what's holding the window frame in, yes?
I really don't know, and am only trying my best to guide you, but you have to be the ultimate judge of what's needed here.

BTW: That frame looks horribly rough. 'Guess that's why you are trying to replace it, huh?

Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 PM

I think I'm going to have to end up taking it in to a glass replacement shop and asking them... thanks anyways and I will post up how I ended up doing it when I do.

Quick Reply: Removing sliding windows in Mazda Bongo 1989