General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBD II reader recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Default OBD II reader recommendations?

Hi everyone. I recently acquired a 2000 Protege LX with a manual transmission and 83400 miles on it. I've searched this forum and elsewhere, and it looks like known troublespots for my car are the mass airflow sensor and the exhaust gas recirculation system. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if I'm missing something.)

And it looks like if I do have these problems, my first symptom will likely be the check engine light. I've never owned a OBDII code reader before. I'm amazed by how inexpensive they are but am completely at sea as to what to look for.

Sorry if this isn't the correct subforum to post this, but I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive, yet reasonably functional OBDII code reader.

I've seached around and the choices range between the ultra cheap models that merely display the trouble code to $200+ professional models that slice and dice and predict rises and falls in the stock market. My sense is that I should look for something occupying the middle ground.

One step above the most basic models appear to be code readers that also display real time engine data. I found one that appears to fit this category:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Prof...081227987QQrdZ1

Is this a good choice?

Does anyone have experience with other models? I'm trying to stay below $50, but if someone can offer a good rationale for spending more, I'll definitely consider it. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:09 AM
Default RE: OBD II reader recommendations?

I have an Innova 3130 and I like it..... has lots of features and it comes from a reputable company that will be around for quite a while so software/firmware upgrades are possible.

Doubt you will find one under $50.... but you never know.

Good luck in your hunt.... Scan tools are a great thing to have when your troubleshooting issues

Old 02-11-2007, 05:06 PM
mmt
Default RE: OBD II reader recommendations?

the main problems with a 2000 protege 1.8L are leaking intake gasket, alternatorseizing up, cracking air intake hose, rear strut noise - can be fixed with a few washers-, a few egr valve problems - not many, a few timing belt tensioner springs breaking, some waterpumps leaking, some converter problems - ususally due to driving with a misfire, leaking struts, noisy stabalizer links. these are most of the problems i see with this car. it is a very good car. i have a 99 1.8L with no problems after 7 years