General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda Won't Replace my VVT

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Default Mazda Won't Replace my VVT

Hi,

So, before my warranty ran out I had my CX-7 in because of a strange, burning plastic smell. They claim to not have found anything.

Now, with 70K miles, its making horrible sounds & idles poorly (esp. when cold), and sometimes hesitates when at cruising speed. The dealer diagnosed it as a bad variable valve timing actuator, and gave me a quote for $1,350.00

I called Mazda corporate, but they said that they couldn't help me because I did my own oil changes, etc. They actually said that people who bring their car to the dealership show more loyalty and so they are more likely to help them! I asked why spending $18K on a Protege5 and then, a few years later, $34K on a CX-7 wasn't enough customer loyalty. He had a hard time with that one.

I've asked to speak to the supervisor, and am awaiting her call, but the rep I spoke with said the decision is made and she won't be able to overturn it.

I can't afford this...and am frustrated by their lack of customer service. I mean, with a TSB out there for VIN numbers incl. mine, it seems to me that this is a known issue with a faulty (and important) part. Yet they are basically blaming me for it. I feel stuck holding a bag of you know what. I'm quickly losing my zoom zoom zoom attitude.

I could use some advice, esp. in regards to trying to get them to pay for this...is there any hope?

Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 PM
t2t

I think you need to kindly remind Mazda of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. They can't deny your claim because you either 1) Changed your oil yourself, or 2) Had another place change your oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM

Ah...very interesting. Thanks so much!

I'm very disappointed with them right now. When I was rejected I asked to speak with a supervisor; of course, she "wasn't available." That evening I got a terse, two sentence email stating that they would not reverse the decision. I sent her back a polite but clearly concerned email, and she never replied. A week later, I sent her another email and again no response.

I can't believe this is their customer service. In my second email, I gave the following customer service advise:

1. Even if you have to give bad news, at least try to sound sympathetic, rather than terse, cold, and uncaring. When the customer you are dealing with is upset and has no alternatives, pretending to empathize can go a long way toward keeping them a customer – even if you refuse to help them.
2. Respond to communications in a timely manner, and don't ignore them.
3. At the very least, get your customer's name right (she did not get my name right in her email to me).

Well, no response to this either. Maybe now I'll get something out of her when I mention my knowledge of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act!