General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda 6 Trans Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Default Mazda 6 Trans Fluid Change

I like the idea of keeping all the fluids fresh, and noticed a plug on the transmission pan. So here are some basics I hope you can help with: Where can I get a new washer for the plug? Is it the same washer that's used on the oil filter drain bolt? How many quarts will it hold when drianing by the plug method? Is Mobil 1 synthetic ok, or is Mazda fluid proprietary and should only Mazda fluid be used? How many drains/refills would you do before just dropping the pan and changing the filter/screen? The car is a 4 cylinder (if that matters).

Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Default RE: Mazda 6 Trans Fluid Change

Drain and refill of the trans fluid is an excellent idea for regualar maintenance even if it is not in the scheduled maintenance. The drain plug washer is the same one as used on the Protege engine oil and trans oil drain plugswith OE part number 9956-41-400. Dealer price is 0.90.
Approx 3 qts is a normal drain and fill. I always drain into a drain pan, then pour into an old gallon jug that has been pre-marked at 1 qt intervals, then just refill the amount you drained out. If level was good when you started it will be the same when you finish using this method.
Would not use mobile synthetic if you are just doing a drain and fill as you are only draining out 3 qts or so of a 7.6 qt system. 1/2 and 1/2 not a good thing. Mercon V ATF is specified for your transmission fluid.
Would not even worry about replacing the filter screen untill at least the 30k mark if not further.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the part number...so the Protege uses a "rubber" gasket on the drain plugs...new to me. I checked the labeling on Mobil 1 ATF and they claim compatibility with non-syn fluids, but what surprises me is the application of the Mobil 1...can be used where Dexxron, or Mercon V or any other fluid (mostly any without specifics) is recommended. I'm kind of uncomfortable with one-size-fits-all, but I'm speaking from my old experience with Dexxron vs. Type F, and never the twain shall meet. You just didn't mix those fluids way back when. I'm wondering if the evolution of transmissions hasn't simply made them all the same, more or less (exclude Honda/Acura) and if ATF isn't just ATF. Maybe I'd best get down to Auto Zone and see if there isn't a Mercon V fluid dediated to that application, synthetic or otherwise, and maybe go with that fluid. Any comments welcome, and remember if you're conscientious about motor oil changes, ignoring the ATF changes could leave you with an unpleasant surprise someday.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Well, I did 2 things: went to Autozone and purchased some Castrol MerconV. A lot of fluids are "compatible" with Mercon V, but the Castrol is a dedicated application. Sounds like the way to go.
But then I went to the tech pages on this site, looking for the way to change the cabin air filter. Browsing the instructions on changing transmission fluid, I noticed 2 discrepancies: The site says there's no crush washer on the automatic used on the 4 cyl car, but there is a metal crush washer on the auto trans used on the 6 cylinder car. And the specified fluid for both is Mercon V. The owner's manual says Mercon V for the auto on the 4 cyl, but a different fluid for the auto used on the 6 cyl car.
Maybe that's 3 discrepancies? Help editor/tech expert!!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 PM

Your 6 does have a crush washer with the 4 cylinder. Thought I had read that you had an 05 but when I saw your post on the cabin air filter I realized you have an 06. 03-05 4 cyl A/T use a 9956-41-400 drain washer and drain plug is on the rear, side area of the oil pan. 06 and later use a 9956-21-800 washer with drain plug going straight up into the bottom of the oil pan. All of the 4 cylinder transmissions as well as many of the V6 use Mercon V with one exception. The 6 speed in 05 and lateruses a fluid with designation JWS3309. We use one from Mobil simply called ATF 3309 but it is a very unique fluid for this transmission. Mazda sent out warnings when this trans came out saying not to even slightly top up a low fluid level in one of these transmissions with anything other than the JWS3309.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks Huey. I guess the tech walk-thru deals with the 05 model, and Mazda made some changes for 06. Now I'm good to go.