General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

auto wipers - sensor not present

Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Default auto wipers - sensor not present

I just bought my 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring last week, and I am in love! However...I discovered one problem. After bringing my car home from the dealer, I discovered my auto headlights and rain sensing wipers don't work! Now, truly, I can get by without auto headlights. However, upon learning that the auto wipers are the intermittent, and that isn't working, I was bothered.

I took the vehicle to my local mazda service (it is still under original manufacturer’s warranty) (and to compound the issue, I live 3 hours away from the mazda dealer where I purchased the vehicle). They discover that my windshield has been replaced with an after factory one, the rearview mirror appears to be mazda (homelink, auto dimming) but NOT for rain sensing wipers/auto lights. They found the cord for the wipers/lights stuffed up in the roof of the vehicle, but no sensor.

Service ordered a sensor - but apparently cannot install it because the windshield is not a mazda windshield and there is no location to install the sensor.

All that said - is there any way to make it work? Although my windshield is not mazda built for the sensor, can I try a different mirror...maybe the one that is compatible for auto lights/wipers? (since the rearview mirror they installed isn't compatible) Can I even install the compatible mirror on the windshield that isn't mazda? Is there any way to fix this without replacing the windshield? Or am I just SOL? (the mazda dealer where I purchased the vehicle is refusing to fix it)

All I want is to be able to have "intermittent" wipers - not just slow/fast!

Thanks for you help!