General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! Intake problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 AM
Default HELP! Intake problem!!

I just installed a cold air intake on my 2005 mazda 3 sp23. I drove it around all day and then i went to turn it on and the check engine light was now on. I have heard a lot of different ways to fix it (disconnect battery, check all hoses and clamps, check MAF sensor, etc.) I've tried a few yet it still is on what should i do?? please help!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Banned

When you installed it, did you first disconnect the negative terminal of the battery?
Then re-connect after installation followed by idling for 5-10 minutes before driving. Drive reasonably for the first 50 miles?
Otherwise your intake is no good. You could try an air straightener (pic below).
HPS shortram air intake features an air straightener to maintain the safe air/fuel ratio, for which resulting in less chance of check engine light (CEL). Air intakes with bends right by the MAF sometimes have issues as air does not properly pass thru MAF area.
HPS Shortram Air Intake Kit 07-13 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Turbo Polish Short Ram
AEM Mass Air Flow Straightener

Also included a pic of my aftermarket intake, note where MAF is: on straight section. Maf is triangular thing on top. Disregard red arrrow which is PCV. Other hose below it with white round valve is capped off------is yours? Mine also has a green electric solenoid. This must not be removed or unplugged, but tucked away.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-18-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:59 AM

I did disconnect my negative battery terminal during the installation. Also, the MAF sensor is on a straight area of the pipe. I did not however idle it for 5 to 10 min.

However, i did all last night leave my negative battery terminal off and then when i woke up this morning i let it idle for at least ten min. The CEL is now off but I'm just worried it is going to come back on so i am driving it very cautiously I just am not sure what to do if it comes back on.
I also took it to auto zone this morning and took the coupler off at where it meets the throttle body to see into the intake if any oil from the filter was in it. IT WAS CLEAN. so now if it comes back on i am thinking i may just need to try to do a fuel cleaning?

What do you think?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Angry

The engine light is now back on...

Old 04-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Not all MAF's are created equal either, nben. Some are simply made more sensitive than others.
I had an issue with mine which was not intake related, so I cleaned it. No change. I bought a new one from AutoZone. CEL was still on.
In frustration and needing my car to work properly, I finally took it to the dealer. They replaced the MAF with a new factory unit, and before I even got to work, less than 25 miles, the CEL was back on. Took it back to them and they replaced the MAF with another and voila'! I've been trouble free for over 60k miles now.
And BTW: I have a Mazdaspeed (AEM) intake on my car.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nben233
The engine light is now back on...
I don't know what kind of intake you have, but the maf may not be reading correctly. There may be a leak, did you cap off the vaccuum line that originally went to your airbox?
Leave the green solenoid plugged in?

If you said yes to the above, get an air straightener!
The intake may be a bit too big causing your cel. The straightener will reduce the intake size before the MAF and straightening out the air flow through the MAF. Otherwise a new MAF may be in order, or put factory intake back on, slightly modifying it------if there is a resonator, cut a hole in it to suck in cold air. Do not cut the air box to let in hot engine bay air, you will be sorry.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-18-2014 at 05:40 PM.