General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EGR boost sensor

Old 11-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Default EGR boost sensor

I have a 1996 Maza Protege that recently failed emmissions. Mechanically and safety wise everything is fine on the car. However, the check engine light is on and has been on since I purchased the car in 2001. When I took the car to the dealership they said there was nothing to worry about...

Well MISSOURI changed their emmission laws and it is an automatic failure with the check engine light on. The light has been reset numerous times but always comes back on.

The code that showed up is PO400. I was told after the did diagnostics that the EGR boost sensor is what's causing it and needs to be replaced. However, it will cost me around $400. After doing some research it seems that it can just be cleaned and that might do the trick? I really can't afford that much and I am wondering if anybody out there can give me advice on what I would need to do to clean the sensor out.

Any auto shop I feel I go to in St. Louis just wants to take advantage of me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO, the car has new brakes, fuel enjectors, battery, exhaust system, catalitic convertor, water pipes/hoses, timing belt, spark pulgs, clutch, and I'm sure there is more but there is absolutley nothing wrong with the mechanical workings of the car.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: EGR boost sensor

Remove the valve and clean the hard carbon build up from the chamber, passagesand any that found it"s way into the intake. Put a new gasket on, reinstall and ya' got it!!