General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DPF Service Indicator Resetting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Default Worked First Time!

Just registered on the forum, so that I could say this:

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
(Especially Carl)

Read it all, including the links (boy, does Google Translate do some odd things to Portuguese), and just gave it a try. I'd given my 2007 Mazda 6 2.0d 143ps to an independent garage for the 75k timing belt service, and was really hoping to avoid paying Mazda £50 for five minutes' work.

Resetting ECU/DPF after oil change

Here's exactly how I did it:

1. Found a length of good insulated wire -- in this case, a metre of 32A multicore earthing cable that I had lying around. Overkill, and I suspect thinner (15A) single-strand cable would be perfect, but I didn't have any.

2. Stripped 1" at each end, and made sure the copper was clean.

3. Opened the fuse box under the bonnet, found the connector, and checked that the socket looked clean.

4. Undid one of the bolts on top of the side panel, near the passenger side headlamp. Looped wire around the bolt, and tightened it up to give a good connection.

5. Went back to driver's seat and turned the key to the ON position.

6. Waited for all (or most of) the lights to go off, then went back to the fuse box and (gently) "jammed" the wire into the top right connector (with the red circle, etc. etc.). Gave it a wiggle to make sure it was a good connection.

7. Back to driver's seat, and closed all the doors.

8. Crossed myself, said prayers to various gods, and took a deep breath.

9. Pressed accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and released completely, five times, fairly quickly.

10. Was just going for the 6th press, when the glow plug light came on. That's the curly amber squiggle on the right, above the fuel gauge.

11. Glow plug light flashed on and off, fairly slowly, five times.

12. Turned off the ignition, disconnected everything, job done!

Note that my DPF light wasn't flashing, or even on, before (or after) the service. I've never actually had my car do a forced regen, probably because I do a 10-minute 80mph blast down the motorway every day on the way to work, and do a good motorway journey at least once a month.

In case anyone's interested, the service cost £410, including tensioner (apparently the old one was leaking oil), plus £36 for some Shell Helix from Euro Car Parts. I'm in Manchester, and the best dealer price I could find within an hour's drive was £698 (RRG Stockport), excluding the tensioner -- Llandudno did offer £600, but that's almost two hours' drive away.

A6 Autos (Stockport) came highly recommended by a mate, and have been completely straight whenever I've spoken with them.

Last edited by Mahinda; 07-15-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Bad news folks........

Not sure if anyone has seen my recent post, but my DPF has finally died a horrible death! Bizarrely it reports that its blocked after recently changing the oxygen sensor as it became defective? I have tried different methods to reset the DPF system but it still thinks its faulty and after a 30 seconds or so also flags the engine management light with the code P242F - "DPF filter restriction, Ash accumulation"?

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...ion-ash-32243/

I have tried a few things to get it reset wiring checks etc etc and live diagnostics via OBD II but no joy!

I have chosen to have the complete system removed (filter cut out) and ECU chipped to overcome the system and remapped for performance for about the same cost of buying a DPF from a parts supplier (not Mazda!) All this should hopefully improve MPG, performance and there is no more need to purchase the expensive Mazda DPF oil! Hopefully in a little time should pay for itself

I will keep you all posted on the modification and let you know the benefits.

Cheers,

Carl

Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM

All,

Please see my other thread for an update on my DPF solution.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...ion-ash-32243/

Cheers,

Carl

Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 AM

Mazda 6 2.0 diesel 2006. This worked like a charm. From first try. Thanks

Originally Posted by Mahinda
Just registered on the forum, so that I could say this:

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!
(Especially Carl)

Read it all, including the links (boy, does Google Translate do some odd things to Portuguese), and just gave it a try. I'd given my 2007 Mazda 6 2.0d 143ps to an independent garage for the 75k timing belt service, and was really hoping to avoid paying Mazda £50 for five minutes' work.

Resetting ECU/DPF after oil change

Here's exactly how I did it:

1. Found a length of good insulated wire -- in this case, a metre of 32A multicore earthing cable that I had lying around. Overkill, and I suspect thinner (15A) single-strand cable would be perfect, but I didn't have any.

2. Stripped 1" at each end, and made sure the copper was clean.

3. Opened the fuse box under the bonnet, found the connector, and checked that the socket looked clean.

4. Undid one of the bolts on top of the side panel, near the passenger side headlamp. Looped wire around the bolt, and tightened it up to give a good connection.

5. Went back to driver's seat and turned the key to the ON position.

6. Waited for all (or most of) the lights to go off, then went back to the fuse box and (gently) "jammed" the wire into the top right connector (with the red circle, etc. etc.). Gave it a wiggle to make sure it was a good connection.

7. Back to driver's seat, and closed all the doors.

8. Crossed myself, said prayers to various gods, and took a deep breath.

9. Pressed accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and released completely, five times, fairly quickly.

10. Was just going for the 6th press, when the glow plug light came on. That's the curly amber squiggle on the right, above the fuel gauge.

11. Glow plug light flashed on and off, fairly slowly, five times.

12. Turned off the ignition, disconnected everything, job done!

Note that my DPF light wasn't flashing, or even on, before (or after) the service. I've never actually had my car do a forced regen, probably because I do a 10-minute 80mph blast down the motorway every day on the way to work, and do a good motorway journey at least once a month.

In case anyone's interested, the service cost £410, including tensioner (apparently the old one was leaking oil), plus £36 for some Shell Helix from Euro Car Parts. I'm in Manchester, and the best dealer price I could find within an hour's drive was £698 (RRG Stockport), excluding the tensioner -- Llandudno did offer £600, but that's almost two hours' drive away.

A6 Autos (Stockport) came highly recommended by a mate, and have been completely straight whenever I've spoken with them.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 PM

you must hook up some sort of wire between relationship within the picture plus the car chassis.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Sid

Hi all, I've got a 2005 mazda 5 sport mpv 2.0td After looking around for ages I saw a video on you tube on how to do this, was a little sceptical at first but done it , I found the connector wired it up to the - on the battery, ignition on, pumped the throttle 10 times, saw the glow plug light come on & flash, turned off ignition, turned back on and bloody hell it worked. Was so chuffed. Also may have found how to do a forced manual re-gen on DPF. No more mazda stealer. Hope this can help any one

Old 11-04-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sid
Hi all, I've got a 2005 mazda 5 sport mpv 2.0td After looking around for ages I saw a video on you tube on how to do this, was a little sceptical at first but done it , I found the connector wired it up to the - on the battery, ignition on, pumped the throttle 10 times, saw the glow plug light come on & flash, turned off ignition, turned back on and bloody hell it worked. Was so chuffed. Also may have found how to do a forced manual re-gen on DPF. No more mazda stealer. Hope this can help any one
You might post the u tube link

Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Sid

Hope it helps guys, it worked for me
Let me know how you got on.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Sid

Originally Posted by Sid
Reset DPF light on Mazda 5 - YouTube
Hope it helps guys, it worked for me
Let me know how you got on.
I found crocodile clip worked best on the battery

Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Default Mazda 5 2010

Hi guys,
very informative thread. However, I have a problem not being able to find test connector, where it's supposed to be. There's only one 2-pin and none 6-pin. I have a 2010 (2005 - 2010 generation) Mazda 5 2.0 CD (CR19). There's also no similar looking connector in the fuse box. Does anyone have a suggestion or advise?

Last edited by yovo; 03-03-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Quick Reply: DPF Service Indicator Resetting?