General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DPF Service Indicator Resetting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Default Oil Change reset Mazda5

I just changed the oil on me 5 2.0D 09 plate and I have about 900km (plus allegedly 1000km more as "grace") until the DPF will start flashing as Mazda's sneaky "service light" (as Simonf rightly notes).

So note that at this point my DPF light is NOT flashing.

But of course I need to reset the counter (officially the oil dilution data to zero) so....
I followed the various instruction on the web
Mazda5 Cr19 Ölwechsel reset that's me as Mark 77 commenting in german
and here in portuguese
FINALMENTE - RESET MUDANÇA OLEO e MUITO MAIS - Página 2 - Clube MazdaPT
(use google translate and think out of the box a little)

...and tried the procedure a few times with 5 presses of the accel pedal. And a few times with 10. NOTHING. no glow plugs or any other obvious sounds.

So I want to ask Carl who said:

Originally Posted by carl69

I've reset my Mazda 3 times now without any issues other than getting the amount of times you have to operate the accelerator pedal (x10) as it differed from all the other stuff on the net, hence why I started this thread.

I have even performed the reset before the DPF light started to flash, I heard a relay operate which I assume was the reset as it hasn't flashed yet.
Did the glow plug light flash 5 times (or at all) when you did the reset BEFORE the DPF light started to flash? How obvious was the "relay" sound? After how long? Any other info?

I am really disappointed. I read up on this at great length and no joy (or at least I'll know in 1900 km).

VR

Old 04-12-2013, 05:39 AM

Hi VR,

I don’t believe any lights flashed (DPF wasn’t already flashing) whilst performing this procedure, the relay sound was fairly faint, so difficult to confirm whether it was in the engine bay or within the dash. The procedure does work and have serviced by car for the last three years using this method with no more flashing DPF lights. I'm about to perform another service in the next few weeks so will be able to update the location of the relay, if I can catch it and if it’s repeatable and if its an indication of the reset - unless anyone else on here knows?

Regards,

Carl

Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Smile pete

Many thanks to carl69 for info. on resetting dpf light on mazda 6 - tried before and did'nt work tried again after carl's advice worked a treat - owe him a drink!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Default Success!

YES SUCCESS!

Thanks for the feedback Carl. You galvanised me to go back and try again. I re-read the Portuguese thread that I posted above.

My mistake was missing the step: close ALL the doors (this step is SPECIFICALLY included in that thread).

So what is did was:

1. key/ignition OFF
2. made connection (as shown in diagram on Portuguese thread page 1)
3. sat in drivers seat
4. closed ALL doors (i kept leaving either a sliding or rear door open and it FAILED time after time!)
5. Turned ignition key to acc. (but eingine NOT started)
6. pumped accelerator (foot to floor, quite rapidly) 5 or 6 times. I was going for 10 times but was interrupted by..... The Holy Grail!!!!!!.... the glow plug light started to flash as described.

Well pleased that I finally got that sorted. My mileage spreadsheet on my phone is linked to the mileage read out from Torque (the app) and I had a formula counting down until the dreaded 21.000km (I had about 1000km left!)

From now on, like Carl. I'll be doing my own oil when I think the diesel dilution is too high (well before the X and well before 20.000km)

So I can confirm that on a Mazda 5 2.0D Sport, Facelift (2009 plate) MZR-CD engine RF (high powered) turbo this method WORKS.

Now for the fuel filter change and rest of my 60.000 km service (you done the filter before, Carl? Link? I might start a thread once I get into it).

VR

Last edited by fahrenvor; 04-27-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: forgot step 5, doh!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:05 AM

Nice one!

Fuel filter is no problem for the Mazda 6, I had to remove the battery to gain access to the protective cage fixings and the rest is pretty straight forward.

Never thought about the doors having to be closed, the source of information I was using at the time didn't mention it, may be a Mazda 5 thing like the flashing glow plug?

Best of luck

Carl

Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 AM
Talking Mazda 5 DPF light reset Success!!!

Warning I am not a mechanic but it worked for me. I am not advising anyone to do this and there is no come back to me if it goes wrong but it worked for me, so I am letting everyone know what I did.

There is a youtube video of what I followed but its none English under resteo DPF mazda5

So I watched this and followed it, this is obviously a foreign car so battery is on the offside(drivers).
I used this wire

DPF Service Indicator Resetting?-wire.jpg

Which is an old extension lead a blue crimp and bit of metal out of the blue wire to insert into the box.
The copper wire needs to be attached to the negative (-) on the battery. Then put the piece of metal coming out of the blue crimp into to the top left socket on the below box.
DPF Service Indicator Resetting?-box.jpg

The box is found here
DPF Service Indicator Resetting?-bonnet.jpg

This is under the catch for the bonnet.
Once you have done this turn the ignition so that your lights on the dash come on (DON’T TURN TH ENGINE ON).
Notice the light under the DPF light looks like a squiggly ‘W’
Wait for all the lights to go off as normal then you are left with the regular lights and a flashing DPF light. Wait about 5 seconds and then pump the accelerator 10 times.
Now that squiggly ‘W’ comes on then goes off.
Turn the ignition to off and back on and bada bing bada boom success. I had to do this 3 times before it worked but its worked an after 2 years of looking for a solution I’m over the bloody moon. Up yours Mazda Stealer!

Last edited by The Groves; 04-17-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Default Worked for me!

Hello all.

Had to join this forum to say a big thanks for a cracking thread.

I bought a 58 plate (Sep2008) Mazda 6 2.0D SL almost 4 years ago and can't believe how lucky I've been. I work away and only use the car 6 months of the year to do school runs etc with the occasional run through to my brothers (60 miles ish) cruising at 75 - 80 mph in 6th gear at around 2000rpm. I pretty much only get the car serviced when I can be bothered and I've only been bothered twice! Second time was last month when the DPF light started flashing. Checked the oil level and it was up at the X so took it to a local garage for a service. The garage could not get the DPF light to stop flashing, so while I was at work I did a bit or research and came across this thread. Got back from work yesterday and tried the method suggested in the link in one of the first posts. Took a couple of attempts but it worked. If anyone is interested and if it will help, on the second attempt I pressed the accelerator 5 times in approximately 3 seconds and once the coil/glow plug light stopped flashing, switched the ignition off and disconnected the lead. Thanks to all who posted here and made this subject a little less frightening to us non mechanically minded souls. I have read some horror stories about people paying out hundreds of pounds, some probably totally unnecessarily. I also realise how lucky I have been to have this happen only once in the 4 years I have had the car, I'm sure my driving 'style' must have something to do with it haha.

Once again, thanks to all!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Default 2.2 oil data reset

Hi. I have a 2010 mazda3 2.2 185 bhp sport Does any one no if the peddle method and earth connection works for the oil data rest on this year mk2 mazda3. your help is much appreciated. thanks

Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Thumbs up

Hi All,

I eventually got round to service the car again today! I can now confirm that the original specification is correct and you only need to depress the accelerator pedal 5 times to reset the service light!

The last couple of times I've done this I had to depress the pedal 10 times in order for it to work – I now know that this was a result of the lead I was using which has now been replaced by a large cable connected directly to battery Neutral and the relevant pin. Once the process is completed the glow plug will light and flash 5 times to confirm.

Anyone with issues will probably have a connection issue, so best advice would be to connect directly to the battery rather than chassis

Regards,

Carl

Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 AM

Hi All,
New member here at my wits end with this DPF light.
Mazda 3 2.2l mzr-cd. Under the bonnet is pretty different to the 2.0 l so nothing looks remotely similar.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: DPF Service Indicator Resetting?