General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Distributor Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Default Distributor Orientation

Guys, I have what seems like a really dumb question..

I have a 1995 Protege 1.5. Had the distributor off. Now, how do you know how the distributor fits back onto the camshaft? The distributor has 2 flanges that fit into corresponding slots in the camshaft, similar to the one in the attached picture. OK, but that leaves 2 possible orientations, 180 degrees from each other. How do you know which one is correct? I have the shop manual and I can't seem to find that piece of info anywhere in it! Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Distributor Orientation-56014.jpg  
Old 02-08-2015, 07:23 PM

It will only fit one way. It is just a bit off center.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by hixx
It will only fit one way. It is just a bit off center.
Ahhh I see it now. Thanks.

Additional problem(s).. acquired a re-manufactured head. Changed out the head, used new gasket and new bolts. Everything done per the manual. Car starts, but..

1. Will only idle very low (350) RPM. Does not respond to accelerator movement (accelerator seems to be locked out).
2. Blowing a huge amount of while smoke out the tailpipe.

Arggg!!! What could be wrong? Have I botched this job?

Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 PM

The exhaust is probably full of coolant from the blown head gasket and will clear up with a bit of running. Hopefully you checked the head for warpage.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:35 PM

The exhaust is probably full of coolant from the blown head gasket and will clear up with a bit of running. Hopefully you checked the head for warpage.
Yeah it is actually a newly re-manufactured head. But I don't understand the low idle.. no throttle response.

I guess first I'll check the compression in case the new gasket blew right off the bat. Uggg

Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 AM

KInda sounds like the timing is off. Loosen the distributor bolts and move the distributor until it runs right. If it clatters on accel while driving it is too far advanced. If it has low power/idle it is too retarded. Possibly the timing belt could be off a tooth also.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 AM

KInda sounds like the timing is off. Loosen the distributor bolts and move the distributor until it runs right. If it clatters on accel while driving it is too far advanced. If it has low power/idle it is too retarded. Possibly the timing belt could be off a tooth also.
I have tried that. It smooths up somewhat, but the throttle is still locked out - no response to throttle movement. It's throwing thick white smoke.. I wonder if I need to let the new parts "burn in" for awhile before it will run normally. I'm going to try letting it run and monitor the engine temp and see what happens. I have read many accounts of white smoke for quite awhile after a head change until oil and coolant completely burn off.

Yes I also wonder if I have the timing belt off a tooth or 2 (though of course I was very careful when setting that). I am able to look at the spark advance using an OBD connection through a laptop and I never see the 10 BTDC that is called out in the manual. It varies between zero and about 4.5. That doesn't sound right, but the lack of throttle response is also not right, so I really don't know if the OBD readings are trustworthy yet..

Worked on my own cars for 40 years and I have never had so much trouble getting a car to run right. Ugg

Last edited by 147JK; 02-09-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:33 AM

The PCM must be bypassed in order to set ignition timing/base idle. Jump GRD and TEN in the little black box under the hood to bypass the PCM trying to control timing/idle.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:51 AM

The PCM must be bypassed in order to set ignition timing/base idle. Jump GRD and TEN in the little black box under the hood to bypass the PCM trying to control timing/idle.
Ahhh!! I was in a hurry and I forgot to do that!

By the way, I just now had it running, and I found if I rotated the distributor counter-clockwise all the way to the stop, it would run pretty well, and shows about 5-6 degree BTDC on the OBD (supposed to be 10 degrees). I will put the jumper on as you pointed out first and see if that resets things. If it doesn't, that would mean I have the belt and/or cam chain off. Correct?

Thank you very much for your help!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 AM

Well, darn it, the jumper made no difference.. still have to turn the distributor to the stop to even make 6 degrees BTDC. Guess I'll go back in and assume the timing belt and/or cam chain is off.

But, on the good side, the heavy white smoke is tapering off.. temp is stable.

Quick Reply: Distributor Orientation