General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Headlights starting to show dull finish

Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Unhappy Headlights starting to show dull finish

3 1/2 years of road grim,sand and scratches have taken there toll on my headlights, and now is time to address the problem. I have seen the process that companies use to refinish dull and hazed over headlights and after a couple hours of wet sanding and polishing the headlights look almost new again, but I've been told that you have to consently polish them with a special compound or they will return back to the dull finish again. Is that true? If so would I be better off replacing the headlights? I have gotten quotes that range from $175 to $250. I know I could buy a kit and do it myself cheaper but the lights probally wouldn't come out that good. What should I do? Has anyone had there lights refinished and how are they holding up?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:59 PM
VB
Old 08-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

The bulk of headlamp lenses these days are made of Lexan, but have a very thin (+/-2 mils) polycarbonate layer over it to protect the softer Lexan from damage. When that wears away, you're screwed. Why in 20 yrs of making plastic lenses they haven't come up with a better, longer lasting way is beyond me, but it's usually enough to get the car out of warranty.
OK, that said, here's my suggestion: 1) Polish the lenses clean and clear again, and before they get too bad in the first place. Have it professionally done if you don't want to DIY, or if they need a professional touch. 2) Go to Rock Blocker or Lamin-X and get some of their film. 12-16 mil is sufficient for the job. RB even has custom fit pieces/sets for the 1st gen Mazda3s. Install these ASAP after polishing the lens.
They are not a perfect replacement as neither claims to protect from UV rays, so the lens may eventually yellow, but after 3 yrs of having RB's on my car, the lenses have not gotten any worse than before.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by virgin1

The bulk of headlamp lenses these days are made of Lexan, but have a very thin (+/-2 mils) polycarbonate layer over it to protect the softer Lexan from damage. When that wears away, you're screwed. Why in 20 yrs of making plastic lenses they haven't come up with a better, longer lasting way is beyond me, but it's usually enough to get the car out of warranty.
OK, that said, here's my suggestion: 1) Polish the lenses clean and clear again, and before they get too bad in the first place. Have it professionally done if you don't want to DIY, or if they need a professional touch. 2) Go to Rock Blocker or Lamin-X and get some of their film. 12-16 mil is sufficient for the job. RB even has custom fit pieces/sets for the 1st gen Mazda3s. Install these ASAP after polishing the lens.
They are not a perfect replacement as neither claims to protect from UV rays, so the lens may eventually yellow, but after 3 yrs of having RB's on my car, the lenses have not gotten any worse than before.

Where did you get your RB's? I went to www.rockblocker.com and got the following response "oops site broken". Hopefully you can point me in the right direction. Did you get the custom fit kit? Thanks for the info

Old 08-31-2009, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, it seems they are OOB? Hmmmm....
Well, here's the Lamin-X site: http://www.lamin-x.com/Mazda-3-Sedan...ers-p/m508.htm

Old 08-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by virgin1

Yeah, it seems they are OOB? Hmmmm....
Well, here's the Lamin-X site: http://www.lamin-x.com/Mazda-3-Sedan...ers-p/m508.htm
Thanks! I ordered them.