General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 mazda protege squeaky belt problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Default 1999 mazda protege squeaky belt problems

I noticed in other posts alot of people are having the same squeaky belt troubles I'm having . In the last 3 years I had my belt replaced about 4 Xs and the belt has been tightened about 5 or 6 Xs . I even took it to the mazda dealership to no avail . It's not just the squeaky belt that has me worried . One timethe belt kept squeaking and it broke . Since the 1 belt controls the fan / ac/ heater / altinator , the car overheated . I had to be towed . Here's what happens in my situation .Almost everyday after starting the car the 1st time the belt is squeaking while the car is warming up . When driving below 40mph the belt squeaks . When puttin on the heat / defroster or a/c the belt squeaks . But once i'm driving over 40mph it stops squeaking .
I can't believe with all the technology today no one can figure out what the problem is . I'm so frustrated constantly having to take the car to the repair shop for the same problem .
The car is in the shop right now and the mechanic tells me he thinks it's the altinator . Since no one knows for sure what the problem is I may pay for a new altinator and still have the same trouble . Does anyone here know what the problem is ?
I will never buy a madza again .

Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Default RE: 1999 mazda protege squeaky belt problems

Hey guy, listen besides the fact that a belt usually needs to be changed when it starts to make a squeeking noise, belts also squeek when they get wet, and the squeeking will only stop when the belt is moving fast enough for the fluid to either be burned off or flung off. It is quite possibe that maybe you have a fluid leak somwhere in your car, brake fluid is a good deteriorator of rubber as well as many other fluids under your hood. Another possiblility is that you tensioner may need to be replaced, that's the little thing that keeps tension on your belt, sometimes they wear out and dont hold the tension. I hope you figure out what it is, GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Default RE: 1999 mazda protege squeaky belt problems

Not sure on a preotege but on my miata there are four bolts that hold the a/c unit to the block, though the belt seamed tight in fact the bolts had come out of the block and the unit had a slight mis alignment. to remedy the problem I had to unbolt the a/c from its base plate and reattach it to the block, be sure and lock tight it so it wont happen again, solved my problem.