General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda3 s touring retainer clip

Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Default Mazda3 s touring retainer clip

Hello everyone, please help. I replaced the oam h7 low beam bulb with the silverstar h7st and was easy enough to remove the retainer clip that hold the bulb but, damn for the life of me, can't figure out how to re-clip the ****ty thing. Can someone plase tell me in pics or in details how the clip is suppose to go on.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mazda3 s touring retainer clip

Yeah. Gotta' hate those things!! Worst HL clips Ihave ever seen in my 40yrs of automotive experience.
I've done it myself, but couldn't for the life of me tell you how. Sorry. Once, I even thought I had them in correctly, but within a week the left beam was sagging. When I checked it out, the clip had come loose and the bulb was just hanging there.
Best advise is to get a small mirror and see what you can see with it. I did that once and managed to get them back in w/o too much aggravation... 'course there was a 2 drink celebration afterwards.
And HEY btw: Welcome to the forum!!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Thanks for welcome virgin1, I been working on the stupid thing for about a hour and finally just put the rubber fitting back on and left it at that, my back was killing me. I called the dealer service center and asked about how to put the clip on the right way and all they said was close it and it should click on. Boy! what a help that was. I just need to figure out where the end of the clip suppose to clip on to.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

As I'd said, a mirror can do wonders for helping you figure that out.

And, you're welcome. Hang around for a while and enjoy the silliness here!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 PM

Anybody know if the OEM cold air induction for the 2008 2.3 liter mazda 3's are any good ?? I just had it installed and it seems pretty solid . Everybody says its worth the $$ and gives a little better performance and mileage but am I sacraficing engine life etc??? K

IM a first time Mazda owner comming over from Subaru and so far love the car I just hope that I didnt waste my cash on this OEM cold air intake , buyers remorse I guess - used to be super quiet and now a bit louder but not after I reach cruising speed . Suppose its the price you pay for getting a tad more umph.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

In short, an excellent choice, IMO.
Designed and built by AEM, you can't do much better for street/performance driving.
The only way this will shorten you engines life is if the filter is not installed properlyand it comes off, or you don't service the filter a the recommended intervals.
I also have the MS CAI and I love mine.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Thanks V1- That just re-inforces what others have said about the mazdaspeed factory aftermarket parts ( green level) not orange - I suspect the orange is for top performance.Yes this was installed by the dealership and by the master mechanic there so I feel good about the fact that it is fully covered by the existing warranty so it must be tested and solid! In essence I wanted just a bit more power and dont want the wife to suspect I am sinking our $$ into speed parts so If she starts squeaking I guess I will just say thats the sound of a great engine when its getting broken in . She would never know what the heck was under the hood. But I see you have almost ever addition possible to your ride , but I unfortunatly cant get away with all that and need to lay low. I just didnt do any research prior, and trusted my techs at the dealer which are sincerely good guys that always give me dicounts and have never done me wrong. So V1 I do appreciate that feedback. I had a friend say the ECU takes about 300 miles to adapt fully to the mod of the CAI ? any truth there ???