Electronics, Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

headlights question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:19 AM
Default headlights question

I have a '04 mazda 6 and i was looking up for some HID head lights for my car. Now i notice that there are two bulbs on each side. r they both the same model # and everything? or do i have to buy a totally different one??
Also i was gunna buy blue HID lights and there are so many different types. ( 9004,9005, H1, H2, H3, and so on) which one do you guys prefer or think is the best one???

Old 02-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: headlights question

Well, you've come to the right place to ask those questions.

First off, you have halogen bulbs in there now, so you will want a conversion kit because factory HID bulbs (they are called envelopes) won't fit.
Also be aware (and this is a little one) that converting to HIDs from halogens is technically illegal. DOT's don't like people messing around with the factory lights, but I wouldn't worry too much aboutthat unless you go to 8K colored lightsor above... and that's an entirely different conversation. In short, DON'T!!

Most people convert only the low beams as factory HIDs are the same... only the low beams. You can do (convert)the high beams as well, but at twice the expense and you're asking to be spotted by the po-po.

You have two bulbs on each side because one is the low beam bulb, the other the high beam. Since you are planning to "convert" you will need a kit that matches the bulb type already in there. In the Mazda3 it's an H7. I'm not sure if the 6's use the same low beam bulb. Read the manual. That information isnear the back under specifications.

"Blue bulbs" you may think these look cool, but you will not like them for long. The higher the kelvin color rating of a bulb the bluer/purpler it is, but the useful output of the bulb drops significantly the higher you go. Also the bluer a bulbs output is, the greater the eye strain. Stick with color rated bulbsof 6k or under for the best output and color. Most seem to agreethat 5k is the ideal.

Lastly, and I am not trying to embarrass or make you look foolish here, but based on your op, I can tell you've done very little research and do not understand much about lighting yet. Please, before you jump in w/both feet and spend your hard earned money (or your parents hard earned money) do some research and get some knowledge about the subject. The Internet has a lot of reputable sources on this subject that can get you involved. Here's one of my favorite: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Read it, as he obviously makes some very well informed knowledgeavailable to the average consumer so that they might make better choices.
Then you can make the best informed decision, one you will be comfortable with in the end.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Default RE: headlights question

You can check this site, AutoPartsWarehouse.com, i believe you can get great deals from the company and quality parts and other merchandise because i already did purchase parts like Cadillac Seville starter and Mazda headlights. Try it, maybe you'd like the offer.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 AM

the two bulbs are same model. if you want to buy blue color, it is about 10000k kelvin. you can visite this website to check the hid model of your car, or search in google. It is not difficult.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Banned

I agree with Virgin1 about color rating. 4,300k puts out more light (measured in lumens) than most other bulb colours (around 3200 lumens for a 35 watt system)
6000k (the most popular colour) puts out around 2800 lumens by comparison. For more actual "K" visual comparison click on this: HID color chart | Xenon colour chart

If you are mainly doing city driving, then we recommend choosing 4300k. It is the same colour used on OEM HID cars, and will still look much whiter than your current halogen bulbs (as well as much brighter).
If you are doing mainly country / highway driving, then we recommend choosing 6000k. The feedback we have been given from truck drivers, as well as two professional Roo Shooters from SA (that tested all the colours) was that the 6000k colour bulbs shows up kangaroos / cattle better than the other colours.
We agree with this assessment ourselves, since 6000k has the higher contrast ratio.
So if you are doing a lot of country driving, then choose 6000k to give you the best chance of spotting animals.

35watt HID kits by comparison put around 2800 – 3200 lumens of light onto the road (up to 3 times brighter than a 55 watt halogen globe).
55watt HID kits put out 4500 to 5000 lumens of light onto the road – - up to 5 times brighter than 55 watt halogens.
55watt HID are best suited for spot lights or high beams.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mazda 8? Do you mean RX8?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:03 AM
Thumbs down Why is this guy allowed to post!?

Originally Posted by Sullavance
Head lights are the vital part of a car or any other vehicle make our drive so comfortable and easy in dark means at night. But I want to know which head light is suitable for my Mazda 8?
Sullavance is not a valid contributor to the forum. Please look into it. He's also tweeting these worthless posts to gain easy, fake Google ranking. Ban him for the good of us all.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Madman
Sullavance is not a valid contributor to the forum. Please look into it. He's also tweeting these worthless posts to gain easy, fake Google ranking. Ban him for the good of us all.
My thoughts exactly. He works at a car dealership. His post is useless. I'm sure he doesn't have a Mazda 8? Maybe he has a Mazda RX-8 on the parking lot.
Here's what you do:
When reading the post there is a yellowish gold triangle in a black and grey box which is located beside the post number at the top right of every post. Clicking on this is the "Report Post" button. After clicking on it, voice your displeasure to administration and hopefully the next time the administration comes on the forum he will do something.