Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Dried Bird Droppings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Default Dried Bird Droppings?

What is the best way to deal with dried bird droppings (as in it happened in the morning, you don't use your car until early evening, and the dropping has been hardened and sun-baked all damn day!)

Old 11-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Default RE: Dried Bird Droppings?

well obviously wash your car first. if there is any residue left. Get some wax. It should remove any spots that is left there! It is best to remove the bird crap off immediately though! If bird droppings are left on your paint job too long, it will damage the paint!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 PM

After washing the car as mentioned above, it might be necessary to use some polishing compound before using the wax to protect the paint. I've even used glass cleaner to remove bird crap, works just fine.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:45 PM

i know that i always ensure that i have my vehicles waxed just to help prevent any unwanted disasters such as bird droppings that can bake into your car and leave acid stains. i try to check every time i leave my vehicle outside to see if anything has been left on my vehicle. if there is, a quick spray with water can work as well as making sure that you got it all off.

i live my life by carnuba wax for clearcoat finishes! you really only need to wax two times per year because this stuff really protects nicely if you ask me... but i go the extra mile and wax it three for fear of salt killing my paint, rust from water, or goo/bird droppings. always was a fan of keeping my car looking really nice! (if you couldn't tell haha!) [sm=lol.gif]

Old 07-03-2006, 12:09 AM

well if its in the paint get your self some M3 compound and a buffer hit it 2times with the M3 then get a soft finshing compound like some phaze glaze hit it again then wax it. take your time and let the paint cool after every time you buff it or you will lose some paint(^-^)

Old 07-07-2006, 03:03 AM

I use water, never had any problems with permanentely dammaged paint on either car even if the stuff's been there for days. And my moms mustang has VERY delicate pearlescent paint.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:50 PM

I don't mean to revive an old post, but it was almost like fate when I joined this forum because this was the first thread on the list! I have a 2004 Mazda 3, and I work long hours at my job so it's really easy for me to look past little things on the car here and there. I recently spotted a spot of what looked like faded bird poop on my trunk. It looked like the rain and perhaps previous car rinses had faded it enough so that it didn't look exactly like bird poop so I must have overlooked it. Well, I washed it off with a wet cloth, I had to rub a little because it really was on there. Many sites claim that leaving it on for a long time will ruin the paint, but it doesn't really look ruined to me. I can tell that the residue has been there for a pretty long time but it wasn't a big clump of it. It was a superficial, clear colored, hardened substance that is really hard to see just walking by the car. It is obvious to me that most of the bird poop had been rinsed away from the rain or previous car rinses, so it must be pretty common for car paint survive a bird poop attack.. right? I'm just really not seeing this "etching" or "fading" or "damage" that almost every forum and website claims that would be occuring. It bothers me because it makes me wonder if I'm not looking hard enough. But how hard should you have to look for something like that? I'm not going to flip my lid over something that doesn't show up... what is etching? Why is it so commonly understood that bird poop would damage your car? Do they mean LARGE amounts of bird poop would damage your car? Cause the amount on my car was first of all hardly visible, and secondly, didn't have a lot of substance to it. It was a very thin layer of clear, dried poop. I want to take it seriously though because I don't want damaged paint on such a new car. But I also don't feel like I should have to overanalyze my car on a daily basis either. I work at a hospital and I hardly ever get time to eat lunch let alone go out and scour my car for imperfections. I try to wash it when I can, and I am extremely safe and aware behind the wheel. I never thought bird poop would be such a big deal like the websites are saying. It's freaking me out even when I'm not seeing anything? I also have a small clump of bird poop on a plastic trim, that won't scratch right? Whatever acids that are in bird poop shouldn't ruin plastic.. I'm actually really surprised that it is known to ruin paint. I would venture to say that 85% of the people in my community that own new cars have some sort of debris on their car for weeks at a time, including but not limited to bird poop. And the cars still look very nice. Either people are exaggerating the power of bird poop, or I just haven't had a good minute to search my car for this alleged "damage". Or I just lucked out? I just don't understand and I would like to understand for future reference. I always knew it was important to clean up bird poop right away, but I thought that it was because it's just so gross to look at. I didn't even know that a bird had pooped on my car until I saw it just now. I can't be the only person that loves their car, but not enough to give it constant examinations, can I? And when people don't examine their cars, they overlook things like bird poop... and to know that simply overlooking a square inch of your car can lead to damage is more than offputting!

thanks!

Old 07-13-2006, 06:09 PM

here's the rules that i abide by for car detailing...

Do's

Wash at least twice a month with PH balanced shampoo
Dry thoroughly with "The Absorber"
Use Microfiber towels
Protect plastic and rubber monthly
Clean up spills before they set
Remove love bugs within 3 Days
Remove bird droppings within 3 Days

Dont's

Do Not use dish soaps for washing
Do Not allow hardwater to dry on your Vehicle
Do Not use brushes when washing if possible
Do Not use terry cloth towels on your paint
Do Not use chemicals (all purpose cleaners) on your paint

*Exceptions would be for tree sap, love bugs, bird droppings that have dried. road paint, gum, and tar. After area is clean, reapply wax.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:38 PM

bird droppings-
go buy a bottle of Meguiars NXT Quik-Detailer spray
i use it every other day to remove ANY and ALL desposits (bird ****, sap, bugs, fingerprints, etc..)
stuff works wonders n keeps my car clean b/t washes

Old 07-16-2006, 11:53 PM

ORIGINAL: sin6racer

bird droppings-
go buy a bottle of Meguiars NXT Quik-Detailer spray
i use it every other day to remove ANY and ALL desposits (bird ****, sap, bugs, fingerprints, etc..)
stuff works wonders n keeps my car clean b/t washes

i dunno about every other day... but i wash my car once per week. if i see something on my car, i'll take something to it... but other than that, once per week of washing my car is good enough for me.

Quick Reply: Dried Bird Droppings?