Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

aux alc bass issue = weird

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Default aux alc bass issue = weird

I've searched for this, but I couldn't find anything. Sorry if I missed something.

I just bought a Mazdaspeed 3. I'm loving it! Anyway, I have a strange issue when listening to music plugged into the aux port. The bass will go in and out!!! By that I mean, that the bass sounds will go flat and then sometimes come back. (THUMP THUMP -then- tink tink think) The sound will go back to normal (what seems to be) randomly (but it's probably ALC related) or when I adjust the volume. I think it's probably the ALC, but I turn it off and it still happens (I read elsewhere that ALC still works even in OFF mode - which doesn't make sense to me). I believe it's ALC related because the issue only occurs when I'm driving, never happens when at a standstill. I've tried different cables, different ipods, etc. So, I belive it's an issue with Mazda's HU. However, what the heck could be happening that only the bass is affected? I could understand all sound being screwy, but just the bass? Anyway, I'm going to talk to the dealer about it. Just thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar problem or could offer any suggestions. Was hoping for some advice since I've never had great luck with electrical technicians at dealerships.

TANGENT:
I had an ipod connector on my traded-in MX5, but it was kind of a pain to install (plus it wouldn't charge my iphone 3G, but it would charge the original iphone - go figure) and it looks like the MS3 is even harder to install. However, it would be nice to have steering wheel control and text on the HU LCD. But, I've read that the adaptors don't work on the 2008.5 models (which I assume is the "refresh" model - which I have). Is that true?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Default RE: aux alc bass issue = weird

there have been some issues with the head audio unit dropping bass from all speakers, not just the subwoofer. i would take it to the dealer & they should be able to find data on this issue through mazda.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: bstmstr

I've searched for this, but I couldn't find anything. Sorry if I missed something.

I just bought a Mazdaspeed 3. I'm loving it! Anyway, I have a strange issue when listening to music plugged into the aux port. The bass will go in and out!!! By that I mean, that the bass sounds will go flat and then sometimes come back. (THUMP THUMP -then- tink tink think) The sound will go back to normal (what seems to be) randomly (but it's probably ALC related) or when I adjust the volume. I think it's probably the ALC, but I turn it off and it still happens (I read elsewhere that ALC still works even in OFF mode - which doesn't make sense to me). I believe it's ALC related because the issue only occurs when I'm driving, never happens when at a standstill. I've tried different cables, different ipods, etc. So, I belive it's an issue with Mazda's HU. However, what the heck could be happening that only the bass is affected? I could understand all sound being screwy, but just the bass? Anyway, I'm going to talk to the dealer about it. Just thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar problem or could offer any suggestions. Was hoping for some advice since I've never had great luck with electrical technicians at dealerships.

TANGENT:
I had an ipod connector on my traded-in MX5, but it was kind of a pain to install (plus it wouldn't charge my iphone 3G, but it would charge the original iphone - go figure) and it looks like the MS3 is even harder to install. However, it would be nice to have steering wheel control and text on the HU LCD. But, I've read that the adaptors don't work on the 2008.5 models (which I assume is the "refresh" model - which I have). Is that true?

Thanks!

We do have the iPod interface for that car. Our kit will let you control the iPod from the radio being able to brows your albums, artist and playlist. Our kit also does let you control from the steering wheel controls as well. As long as the radio has a Sat button you will have the text display.

As for the charging of a 3G iPod, we are working on the new cable to do that. We are looking at about 90 days or so out for that new cable. The controls work perfect just needing the updated cable for the charging.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:06 AM

or i would say go out and drop the extra money on a NEW HEAD UNIT that has what you are looking for, Ipod Control... and then later on in life when you want to add to it all.. amps, real subs, replace the speakers and put amps on them.. you have full control of your system... you can then add a GPS system.... ALPINE has what you are looking for

Old 01-20-2009, 06:21 PM

I have this problem also. Totally bogus. Also wont charge iPhone 3G
Have you had any luck with this?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

All of our kits have been upgraded to work with all the newer iPod modles that use the 5V USB Charging System. Our kits have been updated for at least 3 months or so.