Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

****Aftermarket Radio Installation Help****

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Default ****Aftermarket Radio Installation Help****

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this site and I have a question about the 2008 Mazda 3 GT edition. I currently own a 2004 Mazda 3 sport and when I got the car everyone that I talked to told me that it was impossible to install a double din radio into it, but I found a dash kit on ebay and it fits great. I'm interested in getting a 2008 Mazda 3 GT and I'm pretty sure that the dash kit will fit it, but the car I'm interested in purchasing has auto climate control and the dash kit I have uses a pocket to replace the display. Long story short, is there anyway to install an aftermarket stereo and retain the display. I installed the radio in my car myself and if I remember correctly, when I disconnected my radio it automatically shuts off the display. I'm hoping that there is some time of harness that I can use to connect the display. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows a place to recommend to get the parts I need that would be helpful as well. You guys seem to know alot about Mazdas so I'm hoping that someone can help.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ****Aftermarket Radio Installation Help****

Was it really ncessary to start three seperate threads asking the same question? [:@]

Old 12-30-2007, 09:33 PM

I'm only trying to get the most feedback possible, and I'm guessin you're the WRONG person to ask.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Chill out man. Virgin1 is actually one of the best, most knowledgable and most helpful members on this forum. He's also correct that you don't need to start three threads in order to get some help. Next time try it with one thread and see where it gets you.

The LCD on '06+ 3's has a separate wiring harness from the HU. That means that you can unplug the stereo and the LCD will still function. That way the ACC will still work. I've been told that the clock will still work (not sure about that), but you're not going to be able to change functions on the DIS without the buttons on the stereo. There are dash kits which have a bracket for you to attach the LCD to, but before those came out people were just cutting up other kits (i.e. ones that have the pockets on them) and making their own brackets to hold the LCD. Also be advised that the GT has the bose system, and though I'm not really clear on what's what, bose systems tend to be very difficult to just replace one component in them. Do some more research on that aspect before you commit to buying stuff.

Hope that helps you out.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:17 AM

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I wasn't trying to insult Virgin1, but he wasn't helping anything with his statement. Your information was very helpful, but what did you mean when you were talking about replacing the Bose components. I'm planning on replacing the door speakers and tweeters as well. Were you talking about it being difficult to connect an aftermarket stereo to factory bose speakers?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

WOW!!!Such a glowing review of my contributions!! Thanks, Mr. Spots!!

To mwrood,
I apologize if I can across gruff, and I'm sure I did. And you're right! I do not spend my mod money on stereos and speakers, so I am not the right person to ask this/these questions to.

As far as that helpof these cars is concerned, you couldn't ask for better help than our resident electronics-phile (sp?) there (icspots.)
Like me, he too is on a number of different Mazda sites and has helped many with their audio/electronic questions.
He's also very up on new hardware and gear and has written many "articles" for others to read and draw from. If you use the "search" on these and other forums, I'm sure you will find something he's written on the subject.

Now if he'd only get that tint and the heated mirrors installed, he could change his sig.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not too up on all the stereo electronics stuff.... like virgin1 I don't spend too much money on stereo things unless something breaks. Anyway what I've heard is that the way the bose system is set up you can't really replace just one component. I believe the speakers they use are 1 ohm (whereas most are 2 ohm I think?) so they aren't a direct replacement with most other speakers. Check out the electronics section at www.mazda3forums.com as there are a lot more audio gurus there who can answer your questions much better than I can.

Virgin1, about the tint and heated mirrors. Well if only I weren't having a baby (not me personally you understand) then I might be able to blow the money on it. Eventually man, eventually. Besides then I'd have to change my signature. :P

Old 01-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Well, if you aren't personally having the baby, what's the problem?

Hey! Congrats on that, Man. And I know what you mean. We have a limited amount of liquid capital for things like playin' w/de car. My wife isn't into it at all, so whenever I do something to it it's just for me. And of course she wants things done around the house that costbig $$$ too, so it ain't easy.
Ah, to be 20 again w/a completely disposable income. I didn't have much then either, but I also didn't know what I would bemissing.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM

ahhh to be 18 with no money... or well having 1400 in the bank and seeing that go in 2 short months! and i havent put any money into my car yet.. but im thinkingt the first thing i will do is surprise surprise subwoofers.. but im keeping the stock deck and hooking up my subs to my rear speakers.. dunno how it works but supposedly it works lol.. figure that out when i get to that point