Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System

Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Question Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System

Cracked windshield on a new - 1800 miles, 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with Smart City Brake Support System and Rain sensor. A crack mysteriously appeared today in the front windshield of my car, as it was parked in our driveway. The crack starts at the top center and runs straight down to the rear view mirror and then forms an "s" shape and stops beneath the mirror. I took it to the dealer this evening. Unfortunately the manager was not there, but I was told to bring it back tomorrow for review to see if it will be covered under warranty. I am wondering if this is a problem due to poor factory installation and if there is an overall issue with the quality of Mazda windshields.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 AM

My only concern is whether or not cracked windshields in new Mazda's have been a manufacturer problem due to poor installation or the quality of glass used in the windshields. This is our 5th Mazda and we have never experienced anything like this.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM

I have a brand new CX-5 with about 4000 miles and a cracked windshield.
It is highly unlikely that cracks like this happens in the middle of the summer.

What makes me suspicious about this situation is that the parts are in backlog. Right now you cannot get your hands on a windshield. Two possible explanations:
- Poor inventory management on Mazda's part
- Higher than normal occurrences.

I called Mazda Customer Service and my case was reviewed "by the higher authorities" and is was a rock that hit my windshield. Tough luck. No further explanation.

I am disappointed by Mazda's way of handling customer inquiries and suspicious that there might be more than meets the eye here.
Other than that, the car is a delight to drive.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Exclamation 2014 CX5 grand touring windsheild

We have the same problem 4000 miles cracked windshield, and no replacements available.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:41 AM

I'm glad to see I am not alone. I just signed up for the forum to see if anyone else had the same issue. Bought a 2013 Touring AWD and have had the windshield replaced twice within 4 months of each other! This makes me seriously concerned about the longevity of this vehicle in our household. Don't have any pics, sorry.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 PM

Ditto here. 2014 CS-5 Driving down the road and windshield cracked from bottom middle upward. I'm a material scientist and specialize in ceramics and glass. I could see no rock chip. Dealer said it was rock chip and won't cover it. He used sharp ball pint and ran down crack and there was small bump. Couldn't see it with my eyes. Like he never heard of glass chipping on the edge when it breaks. Mazda has lost my confidence. Problems with new cars are expected. Admit it and fix it. This is low class.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM

I would followup with Mazda. I had less than 2000 miles and the dealer agreed to replace the windshield. Unfortunately, I have just discovered, since we recently had a downpour, that the new windshield is leaking, as there is a huge puddle of water on the floor of the passenger side. So, the problem with the windshield is not solved yet and I think Mazda is aware that there is a problem with cracked windshields on the cx-5's. My dealer, Ourisman, Mazda of Rockville, MD, has been very cooperative.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:40 AM

Unfortunately, mine now has 31000 miles on it and the dealer hasn't been very cooperative about fixing it even since the first time I called 6 months ago. Wish I had your dealer! I am now looking at Subaru vehicles to possibly trade in for. I don't want to drive a vehicle that I am constantly worried about the glass breaking on.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 AM

get ready to spend your first $500 - cant wait to see whats next

Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Default Crack windshield

I had my 2014 CX5 less than a week and our wind shield cracked. I totally thought it should have been covered by the warranty or at least the dealer should hook us up but they didn't. So We looked into replacing it but there aren't after market windshields. Our Mazda still has less than 6,000 miles on it and has cracked in another spot in the wind shield and we've owned it almost a year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System